The Student Room Group

Edexcel 4D Politics, 16th June

Hi all :biggrin:

I tried to find a dedicated and active thread for tomorrows exam and couldn't find one, so either nobody on TSR is doing it or you're all as apathetic to the exam as I am!

To be honest I am starting this thread with the hope of finding anyone with the past papers and what not for the new spec. I'm having no luck and getting a little stressed!

Of cause the traditional help will be provided, I am confident ish on this so I can help people who need help and hopefully if I need additional you can help me! Standard TSR really!
Reply 1
Reply 2
Well....
That exam was a total disaster - I need 38 to get an A overall and seriously dont think I made it
Reply 3
I found a couple of the questions oddly worded - the fact that globalisation was a unit 3 topic, and the focus of the question (obviously alongside unit 4's poverty), but this wa actually to my advntage, being better at unit 3 than 4.

the problem arose over one of the 15 markers; "what are the criticisms of economically centred development?"
Having spoken to 2 other people about this, all three of us seem to disagree over the definition of "development".

One of my friends wrote about countries' progression (such as China) focusing less on human rights and (such as Zimbabwe) focusing less on rule of law, and focusing instead on the economic side. My other friend said that he wrote about the World Bank and IMF's economically centred development policies for countries, while I wrote about aid and its contribution to the developing world.
My teachers said all three of these were feasible answers, and the Wikipedia entry's definition for "Overseas development" (as it was unspecified whether the development was local or overseas, from whom to whom) encompasses all of these things.

Help?!
Anyone else answer this question?
Reply 4
For that question, I talked about the alternative view's put foward for development. That development is not constrained to the measurement of GDP. Reformists on the matter see overall human well-being as more important, and this can be achieved through the extension of the franchise, enviromental sustainabilty. They would measure development by things like the Gini Co-efficient or the HDI index and not by GDP. Political empowerment and a post mateial society are there ideas of development.

So there we are - a fourth wrong answer.

I also did Human rights - in which I ran out of argmunets after the Arab Leagues rejection of them because they are just 'the natual progression of western society' and that they dont reflect the law from Allah. And that asian countries tend to reject theese values too as they priortize the individual over social harmony and are not compatible with confuncitonism. Totaly forgot about sovreignty

and Radical v Reformist ecoloy. Anthropocentricism v Ecocentricsm, Sustainable growth v post material society, Adapt to climate change v stop climate change?

As for the 45 markers......

COPENHAGEN!!!! WTF???? eeewww!!!! On such a broad sylabus that was hideously specific.

I did Globalisation, and I share your thoughts about it. I bascialy framed the debate into Is globalisation causing poverty (No, the horror story's about sweatshops are over shaddowed by the huge progress in development expierienced by the asian tigers thanks to globalisation. Globalisation is also a bases for internatioal trade and co-opearation, but again this can be exploited by the west through trade blocks) Therefore what is increasing poverty - I talked about Paul Colliers Bottom Billion, how civil war, lack of natural resources etc is actually what is causing poverty. How does that sound? I think it's not the right way to answer it :frown:

The terrorism question was actually really easily but i misread and did the harder globalisation one. If I had just realised it was essentialy a 'has the war on terror been successful' question I had planned it that morning and would have aced it :frown:

Sad Times - im really panicking about it :frown:
Reply 5
haha thanks XD
no your globalisation answer sounds brilliant.
I think I boiled it down to
Good: globalisation allows free flow of capital and goods between states, inevitably increasing wealth
International trading law and workers' rights being widely applied by MNCs
The fact that an MNC investing somewhere and then leaving is better than no investment at all
the UN and other politically global institutions allow wider help for LEDCs
Global communications revolution makes a lot of things more transparent
That economic global institutions are encouraging more advanced development
(cited Johan Norburg's "Globalisation is Good" Channel 4 documentary showing the difference between Taiwan and Ghana)

But: Corruption in many states causes lack of progress
Dependency culture due to aid
the fact that the EU and America stamp on smaller individually African nations at WTO talks (cite the Doha Trade round results)
MNCs can come and go as they please, meaning that there is no promised of sustained development in any one place - a fickle world is capitalism!

came down on the side that globalisation IS good

Also thought the New terrorism question was very nice, but I am personally better at unit 3, so....

I said that Human rights are debated because Universal is impossible
UN (who published the universal human rights thing) is run by the 'winners' of WW2
that the bankok declaration signed by china focused more on society than the individual
that whether HR applies to nations or individuals is still questioned
and the issues between China/Taiwan, India/Pakistan and Zimbabwe which still go ignored (and chechnya)

Radicalist and reformist? i couldnt distinguish between the two, so did humanitarian intervention - a beautiful question!

and yeah, copenhagen, i mean how specific! didn't know enough. doubt many people answered that lol

dont worry, sounds like you did fine :smile:
Reply 6
I am feeling an A* for someone haha

My marks for the previous units were 82, 100 and 100 so I really shouldn't be panicking but I just have this horrible feeling that i've messed it up so badly! Your Globalisation question is excellent and far superior! as for that HR question....phwoarr

The consensus in my college was that Heywood was a bit naughty in those questions but overall it wasn't too bad. Teacher said it was fine...he would. It certainly wasn't as nice as Unit 3 in jan where the UN question was an absolute beauty!
Reply 7
hahaha tbh im hoping for one, and looks like youre on track for one too :P
got 196 last year and already got 80 in january, but resat 3 so i didnt have to get 100 this time!
June's unit 3 was absolutely beautiful (probably aided by that I did some work this time :P)
It's alright for future politicians, I think Heywood's leaving because a lot of schools complained in January from what I hear :smile:)
pretty pleased with this though, just a shame it was on the same day as english, so had 3 and a half hours of solid writing to do - added to the limitation of politics revision by shakespeare cramming -___-'
but, having spoken to teachers think i've done alright across the board :smile:
now for the dreaded physics! :'(
Reply 8
Eurgh best of luck! 196 is fantastic!

Do you know why everyone complained about Heywood? China as a 15 marker?
Reply 9
haha so are your 2 100s! and the 82! better than me all over XD

think it was partly that, but more to do with the running of the team, because for certain in my school there were people who walked away with 100 who probably shouldn't have (being brutally honest, but obviously happy to accept them!) and other people who were awarded thoroughly average marks who should have been given top grades. all seemed generally quite erratic tbh.
I couldn't believe China was a 15 marker though. so many people got angry about that XD
whole thing just seemed a bit off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending