The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Whats are the rough grade boundaries for this unit, i know they change year to year but would you expect an A to be 72 ~ 77
Reply 381
does anybody have the june 2011 paper??
Original post by tigger18
Whats are the rough grade boundaries for this unit, i know they change year to year but would you expect an A to be 72 ~ 77

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grades_archive.php
You can search for the grade boundaries here. And, I think an A is around about what you said. A* is usually 80-82+
Do not want to do this exam!!
Reply 384
Original post by Erotas
I think you just need to say that amino acids have ionic bonding whereas alcohols have hydrogen bonding, and ionic bonds are stronger than hydrogen bonds.

Does anyone know if there are grade boundaries for the specimen paper?

Why isn't there hydrogen bonding in Amino acids? They contain NH CO which are also electronegative enough to show hydrogen bonding. I thought we only mention VDW, Permanent Dipole and Hydrogen when it comes to boiling points. Lol I'm so confused, can you explain this please!
Reply 385
Really ****ting myself about this exam. :frown:
Reply 386
Original post by itsbea
Why isn't there hydrogen bonding in Amino acids? They contain NH CO which are also electronegative enough to show hydrogen bonding. I thought we only mention VDW, Permanent Dipole and Hydrogen when it comes to boiling points. Lol I'm so confused, can you explain this please!

I think it's because the hydrogen bonding in Amino acids and alcohol have the same effect so you're not really explaining why the Boilining temperature is higher. I think Because amino acids can exist as zwitterions then Ionic bonding gives them that 'extra edge', so they have a higher boiling point.

The other person will probably explain it better lol:tongue:
Reply 387
Does anyone have the mark scheme for June 2011 paper??
Reply 388
Original post by NewCrack
I think it's because the hydrogen bonding in Amino acids and alcohol have the same effect so you're not really explaining why the Boilining temperature is higher. I think Because amino acids can exist as zwitterions then Ionic bonding gives them that 'extra edge', so they have a higher boiling point.

The other person will probably explain it better lol:tongue:

Thanks! That makes more sense. I feel like I know nothing about the "obvious" stuff.
Reply 389
Hiya, hope somebody can help me: I did the june 2010 paper today morning and am now very confused about q 2bii: why did they not include the volume of 5dm^3 for the Kc question?? Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know a simple way to tackle the calculations? I never know which one to use and when things like pH=pKa are relevant..
for the the reactions of alcohols to aldehydes and ketones, is sulfuric acid the reagent or the catalyst (or both, awful at chemistry!)?
Reply 392
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
Does anyone know a simple way to tackle the calculations? I never know which one to use and when things like pH=pKa are relevant..

pH= pKa
Ka= H+
A- = HA

All 3 of the above are only relevant for the half neutralisation stuff.

The normal ones are

pH = -log[H+]
Ka = [H+][A-]
----------
[HA]

Kw= [H+][OH-]

and for buffer

Ka= [H+][Salt]
--------------
[acid]

and for dilution

[new conc]= (old vol/new vol) x old conc

thats all you need to know pH i think?
Reply 393
Original post by isitinyet?
for the the reactions of alcohols to aldehydes and ketones, is sulfuric acid the reagent or the catalyst (or both, awful at chemistry!)?

Primary alcohol to Aldehyde

Reagents: K₂Cr₂O₇ and acidified with dil H₂SO₄
Conditions: Heat at beginning then distil out at formed
Type of reaction: Partial oxidation

Aldehyde to Carboxylic Acid

Conditions: Heat under reflux
Type of reaction: Full Oxidation

Primary alcohol to carboxylic acid

Type of reaction: Full oxidation

Secondary alcohol to Ketone

Sorry, just read your question properly...there isn't a catalyst for this reaction I think. So it's a reagent
(edited 12 years ago)
Do we need to know specific indicators and between what pH's they change colour?
Whenever I see [HA], in my head, I just imagine the textbook laughing at me -_-
Reply 396
Original post by student1717
Do we need to know specific indicators and between what pH's they change colour?

I think we need to know that phenolphthalein is for strong bases and weak acids and that methyl orange is for strong acids and weak bases...but the others should be given. That's my understanding anyway..
Reply 397
Original post by eesha_25
Primary alcohol to Aldehyde

Conditions: Heat at beginning then distil out at formed
Type of reaction: Partial oxidation

Aldehyde to Carboxylic Acid

Type of reaction: Full Oxidation

Primary alcohol to carboxylic acid

Secondary alcohol to Ketone

Sorry, just read your question properly...there isn't a catalyst for this reaction I think. So it's a reagent

You can just say acidified potassium dichromate if that makes things easier :tongue:
Reply 398
When it comes to test tube reagents what do you guys put when it comes to "nothing happens"? The mark schemes seem to differ on this, sometimes they prefer "no observation" and sometimes it's "no reaction". :/
Reply 399
Original post by Nickini

Original post by Nickini
When it comes to test tube reagents what do you guys put when it comes to "nothing happens"? The mark schemes seem to differ on this, sometimes they prefer "no observation" and sometimes it's "no reaction". :/

I would put no reaction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending