The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Vinz93
They'll probs ignore the 1 because it is superfluous but it's technically correct so yh probs ok.

yes, any predictions for grade boundaries
Reply 1381
cant tell 80-83 for A* then drop 10 then on :s-smilie:
Reply 1382
desijut propylamine is the correct name parjhi
Reply 1383
Original post by desijut
is conc H2SO4 ok instead of conc phosphoric acid in the last question (Step 2-Elimination)??

EDIT- For 1-aminopropane, is propylamine ok?

i think propylamine is the only possible answer because IUPAC have that system of only saying amino, when there are other functional groups present, and yh conc h2so4 is fine,
Reply 1384
where do u guyz think full ums will lie
Reply 1385
i knw ive dropped like 10 marks tho at least
Reply 1386
so u see for the mechanisms to do with ammonia and propanoyl chloride, did we have to show another nh3 reacting with the lost hydrogen, coz in previous markshemes thats always in brackets
Reply 1387
Original post by paul272
so u see for the mechanisms to do with ammonia and propanoyl chloride, did we have to show another nh3 reacting with the lost hydrogen, coz in previous markshemes thats always in brackets

dont think so. 1 mark for mechanism name. 1 mark for product name. 4 marks remaining...i doubt it
Original post by paul272

dont think so, i did just in case but it would be harsh of them to change it just this one time

Original post by paul272
where do u guyz think full ums will lie

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

You can convert marks to UMS using that, so you can check jan 10, june 10, jan 11 and june 11 and try to see where it will most likely lie. It's down at the moment, otherwise i would have done it
Is detonation of TNT in the specification? I checked the specification and I could only find the manufacturing of explosives or is that what they mean?
Reply 1390
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Is detonation of TNT in the specification? I checked the specification and I could only find the manufacturing of explosives or is that what they mean?

it was a maths question. Basically, it said you needed equal moles of C and CO and since they are the only carbon containing products you stick them with 3.5 and 3.5 each. and then follow trend with the other 2 products.
Original post by paul272
i think propylamine is the only possible answer because IUPAC have that system of only saying amino, when there are other functional groups present, and yh conc h2so4 is fine,

what if you put h2so4 without the conc? :confused:
Original post by Competencies
That's a 10 mark swing over previous years, no way that happens.

Boundaries aren't going to vary by an awful lot, maybe 5 at the most.

what are your thoughts on this ^?
:colone:
Original post by gori_kuthi
i agree, for the elimination mechanism, the reagent was tetramethylsilane

what are you talking about no it wasnt! Si(CH3)4 is a standard in nmr.... the reagent is concentrated phosphoric acid.
Original post by Vinz93
it said to deduce the structure so perhaps a name or a structural formula may suffice. Drawing it should definitely get you the marks though.

I drew the structures, but was wondering you know for propan-2-ol, was I suppose to actually draw the O-H bond for the OH group on the second carbon?
Reply 1395
Original post by Master.K
I drew the structures, but was wondering you know for propan-2-ol, was I suppose to actually draw the O-H bond for the OH group on the second carbon?

don't think so. OH as it is or O-H drawn out makes no difference. so long as it corresponded to propan-2-ol, you're fine.
if it said STRUCTURE you have to draw out the bond between the O-H.. i know it's unfair but you do.. in my last paper i lost so many marks because i just put OH..
Original post by gori_kuthi
i agree, for the elimination mechanism, the reagent was tetramethylsilane

LOOOOOL! Your username makes me laugh! :rofl:
The reagent wasn't TMS btw. Loooool. In fact, that's not even a reagent for any mechanism.
Original post by Master.K
LOOOOOL! Your username makes me laugh! :rofl:
The reagent wasn't TMS btw. Loooool. In fact, that's not even a reagent for any mechanism.

thats what i thought! how can you put TMS as a reagent?!
Reply 1399
yh TMS as a reagent is a poor move. could've at least guessed HCl or NaOH but TMS! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending