The Student Room Group

moles calculations

Hello everyone,
I am studying chemistry on my own (need to prepare for a science exam) but I am co confused when it comes to mole calculations. Can someone please direct me to good internet resources (I am waiting for my books to arrive). And if you have the time, please explain how to approach questions on percentage yields/composition. I lack the common sense to get the answers right (I have been using Salters Chemical Ideas, but now switching to different books).
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by itzme
Hello everyone,
I am studying chemistry on my own (need to prepare for a science exam) but I am co confused when it comes to mole calculations. Can someone please direct me to good internet resources (I am waiting for my books to arrive). And if you have the time, please explain how to approach questions on percentage yields/composition. I lack the common sense to get the answers right (I have been using Salters Chemical Ideas, but now switching to different books).
Thanks.

Are you studying chemistry at AS Level or Gcse?
Reply 2
Original post by itzme
Hello everyone,
Thanks.

Hi! Try the ChemNet website. It has all the help you need.
Mole calculations are usually quite easy, so I'm sure once you get your head around things, it'll be fine.
As for percentage yield, instead of thinking chemistry wise, think of it mathematically. So, useful/total *100.
I suggest CGP revision guides. They work for me :smile:
All the best, and let me know if you need anything!
Reply 3
Original post by itzme
Hello everyone,
Thanks.

I like ChemGuide when i'm stuck, but if you have any specific questions by all means PM me, i'm happy to help if i can :smile:

x
Reply 4
Original post by cakefreak
Are you studying chemistry at AS Level or Gcse?

as and a2 level.
Reply 5
Original post by embub202
I like ChemGuide when i'm stuck, but if you have any specific questions by all means PM me, i'm happy to help if i can :smile:

x

Thanks a lot! :biggrin: I studied chemistry before but never understood calculations involving moles/concentrations/gases. I will study these a bit more and if I get stuck, I could PM you?

sorry ran out of rep.
Reply 6
Original post by itzme
Thanks a lot! :biggrin: I studied chemistry before but never understood calculations involving moles/concentrations/gases. I will study these a bit more and if I get stuck, I could PM you?

Of course :smile: i do AQA A2 at the moment, but the chemistry is fundamentally the same whichever course go do naturally, it just changes how they ask the quesions!

x
Reply 7
Original post by itzme
as and a2 level.

Oh ok well I'd reccomend CGP revision guides and getting to grips with lots of practice exam questions. If you gave me a question, I'd be happy to attempt to give a step by step explanation :smile: Or I could use an example question... just holla at me which one you prefer
I know you've got other members helping you out, but if you want PM me a specific question and i'll help you step by step on how to answer it.

:smile:
Reply 9
get the chemistry calculations book by Jim Clark off amazon - I have that, quite useful :smile:
http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
i'm studying AQA AS Chemistry, getting prepared for the Jan exam :smile:
that site is great with good exercises. good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending