The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Mocking_bird
The practical itself is straightforward, somebody who hasnt done chemistry once in their life could follow the instructions and most likely come up with reasonable suggestions to put in the table :smile:

I've been told the exam is quite tricky though, unfortunately. :frown:

could you please tell me how to draw one of those enthalpy graphs, I was ill on the last day of term when she taught it and I know its worth quite a few marks :'(
Reply 381
I have the theory ISA tommorow morning... going to bed now need to be refreshed.. have done a fair bit of revision!! AHHHH
Reply 382
Practical starts next week for me :d
Had my mock for this today. Still need to work on those ionic equations :erm:
Help I have the unit 2 isa next week and i really don't know how to revise, has anyone done it that can help with how to revise?
Original post by livelifetotheful09
Help I have the unit 2 isa next week and i really don't know how to revise, has anyone done it that can help with how to revise?

Revise halogens, alkali earth metals, and your unit 1 "amount of substance" equations, such as how to find moles.

Can't give away anything more specific, just what we've been told also :smile:
Also, learnt this little mnemonic today to rememeber the solubilities of hydroxides and sulfates:

HAM SALAD
Hydroxides Are More (soluble)
Sulfates Are Less (soluble) As (you go) Down.

It doesnt fit perfectly but i've found it handy so far. :smile:
Reply 387
Revise halogens, alkali earth metals, and your unit 1 "amount of substance" equations, such as how to find moles.

Can't give away anything more specific, just what we've been told also :smile:

Do we need to learn anything about energetics, alcohols and metal extraction??

Do we need to know how to measure percentage error and know hazards? If so, can you list the hazards.

Thank you ! I really need to do good in this one as I ****ed up my last ISA :frown:
Original post by ryanboi

Do we need to know how to measure percentage error and know hazards? If so, can you list the hazards.

Thank you ! I really need to do good in this one as I ****ed up my last ISA :frown:

I haven't done the paper yet so I don't know (I was just saying what my teacher told us to revise up there^) , but even if I had I wouldnt be able to tell you, sorry! :frown:

Just revise percentage error anyway, and hazards are usually fairly easy to think of... just don't panic and make sure you think it through. :smile:

As for alcohols, I don't think there would be anything on that as we havent even covered it in class yet.
Metal extraction, I doubt it also.
Energetics, I would just make sure I knew the equations anyway. As it seems a bit like Unit 1 amount of substance - you just HAD to know how to work out moles and all that, if that makes sense :tongue:
Reply 389
Original post by ryanboi

If its the Isa i'm doing soon, you definatley need to know how to do energetics, as well as group 2, group 7, and amount of substances.
Reply 390
Also, learnt this little mnemonic today to rememeber the solubilities of hydroxides and sulfates:

HAM SALAD
Hydroxides Are More (soluble)
Sulfates Are Less (soluble) As (you go) Down.

It doesnt fit perfectly but i've found it handy so far. :smile:

Haha, I like good mnemonics (god that word is so hard to spell, I failed 3 times trying), I have a good one for alcohols. When you add the acidified potassium dichromate to an primary/secondary it turns orange to green right- JUST LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!! xD
Reply 391
Just tried a past paper, not happy :confused:
heeeey everyone

just wondering how much does the ISA count? I know its worth 20% but i dont think i did very well in mine:s-smilie: if i get an A in unit 1 and 2 do you think i can still get an A even if i got a C in the ISA?
Original post by charlie1295
heeeey everyone

just wondering how much does the ISA count? I know its worth 20% but i dont think i did very well in mine:s-smilie: if i get an A in unit 1 and 2 do you think i can still get an A even if i got a C in the ISA?

Should do as your grade will be 80% A and 20% c so by my calculations you should still remain on an A grade
Finished the isa today... finally on to the end! :smile:

There was quite a tricky question (which had the majority of our class stumped), but the rest was fairly easy.
I made a silly mistake, only 1 mark, but besides that I feel kind of confident about it.

So yeah, good luck to everyone yet to do :smile:
Original post by 3.14Pie
Just tried a past paper, not happy :confused:

Whats bothering you about it? :frown:
Reply 396
Original post by liquid394
Should do as your grade will be 80% A and 20% c so by my calculations you should still remain on an A grade

Only point to be made about ISA's:
Based on last year's grade boundaries, 35/50 on the paper is an E. That equates to 24/60 UMS.

A lot of people in my Chemistry class last year got 30/50 and thought they were on C's and ended up with U's. Just a heads up.
Reply 397
Does anyone willing to make an unofficial mark scheme? cuz I think I got couple of careless mistakes.
Reply 398
Whats bothering you about it? :frown:

The basic memory questions for group 7 reactions and extraction of metal topics come up quite a bit, and those are the topics i'm struggling with, as there is so much to remember :frown:
Original post by 3.14Pie
The basic memory questions for group 7 reactions and extraction of metal topics come up quite a bit, and those are the topics i'm struggling with, as there is so much to remember :frown:

Ah I agree, there is a lot. But most of them can be learnt by just memorising one of the reactions, as the rest follow the same trend generally (As in displacement reactions, just remember the Cl2 one)

Try doing mind maps, I recently started doing them again and i'm finding them very useful.
As well as saying the notes I make outloud to myself, it just makes it stick in there. Even though I probably look crazy :laugh:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending