The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY UNIT 2 HIGHER CHY2H January 2012 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ice Man
Seems good, looks like i dropped approx 3 marks, for the question about why nano particles are better, i put: because they would have a larger SA (for same volume) so the transfer of heat would increase. Did anyone else write something similar to this, and think that it is correct?

When a type of question has come up on past papers, asking why nano-particles would be better than normal particles.
I've always put surface area compared to volume as my answer.
In all the past papers I gained a mark for it. I reckon you will in this exam, as you've recognized one of the properties of nano-particles.
Reply 81
Original post by Georgehigginson
error not carried forward.

He got fe3o2, awnser was fe2o3, as the error was carried forward he got the complete wrong awnser to the question. The only time you get marks for the method (when you havent gotten the awnser correct) is if you leave it in the ratio you got it. eg 1:1.5 had to x2 to get the awnser f2o3, if you dont you get the working out marks - the student didnt do this..
Original post by Imanerd
I've got 33/34, what grade am I looking at?

A/B.

I reckon A* boundary will be extremely high. This was very similar to a past paper that i have done.

And the grade boundaries on that for an A* was 38.
Original post by StateSchooler95
When a type of question has come up on past papers, asking why nano-particles would be better than normal particles.
I've always put surface area compared to volume as my answer.
In all the past papers I gained a mark for it. I reckon you will in this exam, as you've recognized one of the properties of nano-particles.

ermm..did you get a mark for syaing bigger surface area?
Accidentally missed out 3a!!! I thought it was part of a diagram...

Two marks :frown:

For 3.b do you guys think that they will accept: "Evaporation of aqueous substance to leave solid residue" ?
Reply 85
A/B.

I reckon A* boundary will be extremely high. This was very similar to a past paper that i have done.

And the grade boundaries on that for an A* was 38.

For the filtration answer I put evaporation??? And A or B which ones more likely with 33b
Original post by BiteMeChilliBoy!
ermm..did you get a mark for syaing bigger surface area?

I usually put:
higher surface area compared to volume.

and yeah, i have usually gained a mark for that.
Reply 87
Original post by Basit2010
If you do the working out upside down then the rest of your working will be incorrect as it relies on how you set it out. marks are only awarded if you do not simplify or get the right awnser so you will get the mark for Mass/MR. Mr/Mass is not awarded marks as it is the incorrect way to work it out.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-CHY2H-W-MS-JUN08.PDF

q5a, read the extra information - if you do an upside down ratio, followed by the correct solution to the proportions you used, you can get ecf marks. It also says lose only 1 mark if you do the upside down ratio.
Reply 88
For q1a I made reference to aluminium being reactive. What's the general consensus on this answer?
Reply 89
Original post by outsider95

q5a, read the extra information - if you do an upside down ratio, followed by the correct solution to the proportions you used, you can get ecf marks. It also says lose only 1 mark if you do the upside down ratio.

Can I just say, I love you! (no homo).
Original post by Imanerd
For the filtration answer I put evaporation??? And A or B which ones more likely with 33b

I have done many past papers, sometimes its allowed evaporation on mark scheme and other times it has said 'ignore evaporation'.

Just pray mate.

And about which grades more likely? The A grade could vary, bet I reckon your in with a chance of an A with 33, considering:

- There was a empirical formula question(4 marks)
- AQA managed to successfully sneak in the atom and ion shell structure diagram (2marks)
Reply 91
Does anyone think that they will omit the 2 mark electronic structure diagram, as a lot of people are claiming to have missed it out?
Reply 92
Original post by Imanerd
Can I just say, I love you! (no homo).

lol, i just dont want people to feel like theyve done worse than they have, i know how i feel when i think ive crashed out on a question worth a lot of marks
I have done many past papers, sometimes its allowed evaporation on mark scheme and other times it has said 'ignore evaporation'.

Just pray mate.

And about which grades more likely? The A grade could vary, bet I reckon your in with a chance of an A with 33, considering:

- There was a empirical formula question(4 marks)
- AQA managed to successfully sneak in the atom and ion shell structure diagram (2marks)

I agree because loads of people got that wrong... I think people are estimating to high. My prediction is 34 a*. Last time empirical came up boundary was really low (30 for a* or something)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Ice Man
Does anyone think that they will omit the 2 mark electronic structure diagram, as a lot of people are claiming to have missed it out?

I dont think they'll omit it, as a lot of people will have done it, and it was a valid question, and omiting may make people lose marks they shouldve got, however i reckon theyll reduce the grade boundaries by 1 or 2 marks because of that question alone, to give all the people that didnt see it a handicap.
Reply 95
Original post by outsider95
lol, i just dont want people to feel like theyve done worse than they have, i know how i feel when i think ive crashed out on a question worth a lot of marks

But u were being honest when u said I'll get 3 right? Some people here revel in making others feel ****. Js.
Reply 96
Original post by Imanerd
But u were being honest when u said I'll get 3 right? Some people here revel in making others feel ****. Js.

as long as the only mistake you made was doing the ratio upside down, you will still get 3 marks
Original post by Math12345
Can you put there will be surplus of electricity, as there are more electrons. And this is dangerous????? For the last question and part.

Anyone?
Original post by Georgehigginson
I agree because loads of people got that wrong... I think people are estimating to high. My prediction is 36 a* or possibly lower. Last time empirical came up boundary was really low (30 for a* or something)

Having said that. I must add my whole class got the empirical formula question right.

But that's only because when we learnt the empirical formula in class the teacher used the FE203 as an example to teach us out of the revision guide.
So a lot of people recalled that, and got four marks for that question. ( as you get full marks for the answer alone.

What were the chances of that eh?
Reply 99
Having said that. I must add my whole class got the empirical formula question right.

But that's only because when we learnt the empirical formula in class the teacher used the FE203 as an example to teach us out of the revision guide.
So a lot of people recalled that, and got four marks for that question. ( as you get full marks for the answer alone.

What were the chances of that eh?

on empirical formula questions you get 1 mark without working.

q5a on here, it says for the answer you can only get 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending