The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier (8462 1H) - 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did you find your AQA GCSE Chemistry Higher Tier Paper 1 today?

AQA GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier (8462 1H) - Monday 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Monday 22nd May / AM
Length: 1h 45m

Resources
AQA (Chemistry)

Congratulations on finishing your exam :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who is ready for exams?? Not me :frown:
Original post by Inspectorr

It’s completely normal to feel anxious or unprepared before your exams, but it’s also important to address why you are feeling this way. Do you mind me asking why you are feeling this way or what you are struggling with?
Reply 3
Chemistry has always been a subject that I struggled with..
Its the writing symbol equations that I find difficult, and remembering each symbol for each element. Do they expect me to be able to write a long symbol equation in the exam?
I'm homeschooled as well which makes it 10x difficult :frown:
But I think I'll do alright fingers crossed 🤞
Just need to stop stressing 😅
Reply 4
omg how does it feel to be homeschooled? in my head id rather have my future kids homeschooled but idk if im actually going to do that. Do u think its better?
Its the writing symbol equations that I find difficult, and remembering each symbol for each element. Do they expect me to be able to write a long symbol equation in the exam?
Reply 5
How was it?
Reply 6
went well

u have to remember the symbols for each element? don't they give u a periodic table in the exam? what exam board do u use? i do ocr gateway and we're given a periodic table omg if they're making u learn the elements that's just pure evil
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by user01906002
u have to remember the symbols for each element? don't they give u a periodic table in the exam? what exam board do u use? i do ocr gateway and we're given a periodic table omg if they're making u learn the elements that's just pure evil

i do aqa and we get a periodic table i think all exam boards do surely?? theres no way people are expected to learn it
Reply 9

In triple yeah. There are some weird ones like fuel cells and combustion. You get a periodic table in the exam though so you don't need to remember just read careful (for example don't assume potassium is P it's K so watch out when you read the table). But i'm sure you'll do great
Reply 10
Original post by 5hyl33n

AQA GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier (8462 1H) - Monday 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Monday 22nd May / AM
Length: 1h 45m

Resources
AQA (Chemistry)

I'm gonna fail woop woop *sarcasm*
I'm so scared ahh, I don't find Chemistry that hard, it's just the knowledge that I need refreshing on but I am doing biology for A-Level so I have been really revising Biology Paper 1 and haven't even touched Chemistry Paper 1 since the mocks! I am doing practise questions but realise I don't know any of it :eek:Good luck everyone xx
Reply 12

same i havent even started revising
Original post by raindropxox
I'm so scared ahh, I don't find Chemistry that hard, it's just the knowledge that I need refreshing on but I am doing biology for A-Level so I have been really revising Biology Paper 1 and haven't even touched Chemistry Paper 1 since the mocks! I am doing practise questions but realise I don't know any of it :eek:Good luck everyone xx

If u need to get through the content quickly I recommend looking at the notes and flashcards on Physics and Maths Tutor, they're really concise and summarise all the key points u need to know. When I did my mocks I left all my revision to about 3 days before and all I did was use PMT plus a few past papers and went up 2 grades (got an 8 in chem)!! I'm the same with chem I don't find it hard just needed to refresh knowledge quickly, which PMT is rlly good for

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/
Reply 14
time to play freesciencelessons all day I think
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by user01906002
If u need to get through the content quickly I recommend looking at the notes and flashcards on Physics and Maths Tutor, they're really concise and summarise all the key points u need to know. When I did my mocks I left all my revision to about 3 days before and all I did was use PMT plus a few past papers and went up 2 grades (got an 8 in chem)!! I'm the same with chem I don't find it hard just needed to refresh knowledge quickly, which PMT is rlly good for

Wow, that's great thank you! I love physics and maths tutor but only use it for the questions and for English so I didn't really know that it was there! Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
do you guys have any predictions??? im actually gonna fail
Reply 17
Original post by hms677

you’re not going to faillll dw! But, here are some of my predictions:
- fuel cells
- nanoparticles
- macromolecules (eg, diamond etc) and their bonding/properties
- Electrolysis of aqueous solutions
- RP- the rates of reaction one
These obviously aren’t going to be 100% right lolll but they r just some predictions which i made looking at past papers and people on yt lol
Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by hms677

Hey not so much predictions but like i recommended to someone else above but i rlly recommend using Physics and Maths Tutor if u don’t already especially if you’re trying to cram a load in today. It has lots of concise notes and the flashcards are rlly good, along with u can find questions for each topic so u can target some of ur weaker areas before tomorrow. It’ll defo help u cover a lot in a short space of time. Go thru the contents page in a revision guide or textbook if u have one or look at the specification for ur exam board online (if ur not sure where to find this just lmk what exam board u use and I can send) and work out which topics u need to work on most. Defo also try and do a few past papers today if u can that’ll definitely help. You’ll be fine dw and just remember something is always better than nothing, even if u only revise a few topics today it could still make all the difference and could even be the difference between a grade boundary :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by OmegaJJ
same i havent even started revising

Bro same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending