The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stephie.u3
No troll...just speculation... my bilogy teacher seems to be dead set that the essay will have something to do with proteins and i can hand on my heart say her predictions have never been wrong so far in the two years that i've had her. She's one of those old biology teachers who has taught the parents of people in my year and she is forever going on about the way Bill Inge does things (he's the head a-level biology examiner for aqa), she knows him and we all joke that she's having some kind of affair with him because her predictions are always so spot on haha...she's sneaky though, for example with the EMPAs she was like "now if this comes up it will be a complete coincidence, i'm just not sure i...ummm...taught it right the first time" bless her, she actually believes we fall for it :giggle: instead we rush off to go and revise whatever she's just mentioned.
so yeahh, this time she thinks one of the essays will be on proteins...so might be worth reading over :h:

My teacher knows Bill too, we had him visit not so long ago, and during AS. I can't remember him saying anything especially useful however :/
Reply 1581
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Same :frown:
Have you joined the fb group?
It sounds like most people found it really hard to the grade boundaries better go down

Everyone in my college complained about it, so I'm sure it was very a very hard paper. About fb, no, I dont have fb :mute:
Good news guys,you can get an A* in this paper and get 0 on the essay...... Providing you only drop like 3 marks on the main section :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 1583
Original post by salad_fingers
Can someone PLEASE tell me the difference between a generator and an action potential?

I understand generator potentials occur in sensory neurones - is it that they create an action potential when this exceeds the threshhold so you get an 'impulse' (wave of depolarisation)?

Gonna be a looooong night.

Generator potentials cause action potentials if they're big enough and if they reach a threshold level. Action potentials are electrical impulses along a neurone.

Hope that helps, :s-smilie: but if I'm honest, I'm completely confused by the whole of unit 5 right now. Dreading the essay :'(
OMG, there's gonna be a bus strike in london on the 22nd (day of this exam)

fml im gonna have to walk to school. That will take like 1 hour and a bit......

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
Good news guys,you can get an A* in this paper and get 0 on the essay...... Providing you only drop like 3 marks on the main section :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

You can get 0 on this essay and get full UMS (or close to it) if you get everything else right but nobody does.
Original post by tfdes
Everyone in my college complained about it, so I'm sure it was very a very hard paper. About fb, no, I dont have fb :mute:

You don't have facebook :O wow
Reply 1587
could someone please let me know if i have the right idea for the oestrous cycle:
FSH stimulates follicles in ovary.
an egg matures
the developing follicles produce oestrogen
oestrogen repairs the lining of the uterus after the last mensturation
low levels of oestrogen inhibit LH and FSH = negative feedback
high levels cause the pituity gland to release FSH and LH = positive feedback
LH stimulates ovulation
empty follicles remain in ovary which develops into the corpus luteum. this secretes progesterone
progesterone maintains lining of the uterus for fertilised egg implantation
inhibits FSH and LH
if no fertilisation, corpus luteum breaks down and progesterone levels fall
uterus lining breaks down
FSH is no longer inhibited

thanks!
Original post by Noggster
Have you read how many sampling techniques are in the revision guide? + have you got access to Robert Mitchell's guide to the synoptic essay. He states clearly in there to revise sampling methods.

I couldnt see where it says in robert mitchells guide about sampling methods, and cant see any sampling techniques in unit 5 at all :frown:
Can someone link me to this 'Robert Mitchell guide'?
Reply 1590
Original post by cli121
could someone please let me know if i have the right idea for the oestrous cycle:
FSH stimulates follicles in ovary.
an egg matures
the developing follicles produce oestrogen
oestrogen repairs the lining of the uterus after the last mensturation
low levels of oestrogen inhibit LH and FSH = negative feedback
high levels cause the pituity gland to release FSH and LH = positive feedback
LH stimulates ovulation
empty follicles remain in ovary which develops into the corpus luteum. this secretes progesterone
progesterone maintains lining of the uterus for fertilised egg implantation
inhibits FSH and LH
if no fertilisation, corpus luteum breaks down and progesterone levels fall
uterus lining breaks down
FSH is no longer inhibited

thanks!

Thats all correct :smile:
Original post by Toniaa
Generator potentials cause action potentials if they're big enough and if they reach a threshold level. Action potentials are electrical impulses along a neurone.

Hope that helps, :s-smilie: but if I'm honest, I'm completely confused by the whole of unit 5 right now. Dreading the essay :'(

Thanks, that's what I thought. Me too friend, me too.
Reply 1592
I really can't see sampling methods or waterways coming up. There's like nothing on either apart from in Unit 4.

My educated guess would be proteins or enzymes as one of them. They are key concepts over the two years that haven't been done since the spec changed. We've had cycles, Carbon and DNA. Those are three big concepts so I can't see it going down to something specific as waterways.

My teacher said something Bill Indge said made her do the membrane plan with us but I don't think that was a prediction from her, more an area where my class is weak.
Reply 1593
Original post by excell
I really can't see sampling methods or waterways coming up. There's like nothing on either apart from in Unit 4.

My educated guess would be proteins or enzymes as one of them. They are key concepts over the two years that haven't been done since the spec changed. We've had cycles, Carbon and DNA. Those are three big concepts so I can't see it going down to something specific as waterways.

My teacher said something Bill Indge said made her do the membrane plan with us but I don't think that was a prediction from her, more an area where my class is weak.

Proteins or enzymes would be a good essay. Our teacher made us do a practice essay on the structure and function of proteins, which was pretty useful.

But I haven't seen anything on complimentary shapes, which has been something that comes up in every unit in some form or another.
Original post by excell

Which membrane essay was that? :smile:
If it is waterways and sampling, then AQA have screwed up royally. What is going on with them this year? All of their A2 science exams have either been hard or the stuff of nightmares!
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong
If it is waterways and sampling, then AQA have screwed up royally. What is going on with them this year? All of their A2 science exams have either been hard or the stuff of nightmares!

It wouldnt be both, theyre both ecology, and they wouldnt have both ecology!
(i hope)
Reply 1597
What is the purpose of restriction mapping? Is it just to find the distances between recognition sites?
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong

WHAT THE HELL ARE WATERWAYS D:???

does anyone else think tis going to be on proteins? if it is
what can i write apart from their complementary shapes.. if im relating it to function
a little confused :frown: help please need an A!
Original post by Erotas
What is the purpose of restriction mapping? Is it just to find the distances between recognition sites?

It's used to find the specific point where the enzymes cut.

Original post by clairelouise444
WHAT THE HELL ARE WATERWAYS D:???

does anyone else think tis going to be on proteins? if it is
what can i write apart from their complementary shapes.. if im relating it to function
a little confused :frown: help please need an A!

Waterways is basically energy transfers in an ecosystem (Producer->primary consumer->secondary consumer..... but with fish).

It's obviously not going to come up.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending