The Student Room Group

Dissociation and Electrolyte Help

I have a chemistry lab due next week, and I was wondering if someone here could help me understand some of the questions. We didn't take any notes on this, so I have nothing to go by. :confused:

The first thing I'm confused with is about strong and weak electrolytes. The lab asked to record the conductivity of each solution, so would a high conductivity be for a strong acid, and a low conductivity be for a weak acid? I know strong acids completely dissociate, and weak ones only partially, but how do I know how or if something will dissociate?

Another question asks to write the dissociation equations for CH3COOH, HCl, H3PO4, and H3BO3, using for strong and for weak. How do I know each will dissociate? Do I add H2O to the (single replacement) equation, or just write a decomposition equation?

I haven't taken chemistry in over a year, and it's my worst subject, so I appreciate any help you can give!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wjw
I have a chemistry lab due next week, and I was wondering if someone here could help me understand some of the questions. We didn't take any notes on this, so I have nothing to go by. :confused:

The first thing I'm confused with is about strong and weak electrolytes. The lab asked to record the conductivity of each solution, so would a high conductivity be for a strong acid, and a low conductivity be for a weak acid? I know strong acids completely dissociate, and weak ones only partially, but how do I know how or if something will dissociate?

Another question asks to write the dissociation equations for CH3COOH, HCl, H3PO4, and H3BO3, using for strong and for weak. How do I know each will dissociate? Do I add H2O to the (single replacement) equation, or just write a decomposition equation?

I haven't taken chemistry in over a year, and it's my worst subject, so I appreciate any help you can give!

You can tell whether an acid is weak or strong by looking at its Ka or pKa. The greater the Ka is, the stronger the acid, because Ka = [H+][A][HA]\frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}). The smaller the pKa is, the stronger the acid (because pKa = - log Ka).

Ethanoic acid, phosphoric acid, and boric acid are weak acids. HCl is a strong acid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
You won't necessarily get a high conductivity for a strong acid and low for a weak

For writing the equations, add a H2O and take off a single H from the acid, eg.

H3PO4 + H2O --> H2PO4- + H3O+
Reply 3
Thank you to both of you. :smile:

To make sure I understand this, did I write the equations correctly for the acids? I'm not quite sure about the first and last.

CH3COOH + H2O CH3COO- + H3O+
HCl + H2O H3O+ + Cl-
H3PO4 + H2O H3O+ + H2PO4-
H3BO3 + H2O H2BO3- + H3O+

Quick Reply

Latest