The Student Room Group

How to deal with symptoms of C-PTSD in sixth-form?

Hi, I am an A-level student in my second year of sixth-form. This is an exam year (which makes it even more difficult to prioritise my MH and academics). As I said in the title I struggle with symptoms C-PTSD and I would really appreciate it if anyone shared any coping mechanisms that have helped them when they have a trauma trigger/flashback/emotional flashback in particular. But any advice would be much appreciated!

I am currently doing T-CBT which is difficult but hopefully is a step to help stop me from living in fear all of the time.

My sixth-form are aware of my MH difficulties. Teachers have been warned that I may dissociate if I have a trauma trigger and sometimes I may ask to leave the class (a pupil passport was sent off to teachers). And I speak frequently to my head of year about how I feel and yesterday I did come to her after I had an emotional flashback and was in a dissociated state. She ensured that I made it home safe and I could keep myself safe. I didn't want to keep it all to myself so telling her about it helped (even if she could do nothing about it). My voice was monotone - there was no emotion in what I said and didn't feel present. I kept dissociating for minutes at a time and came in and out of dissociation.

My friends are there for me and try to calm me down when i'm easily startled. And my closest friends know I do struggle with symptoms of CPTSD. They ask for permission before touching me as they know being touched unexpectedly makes me feel incredibly unsafe.

When using grounding techniques/deep breathing/reminding myself that i'm safe/reminding myself I am not back there again does not work, what should I do?

I feel that if I knew other ways to deal with this I may ruminate less on the fact that I had another emotional flashback.

Quick Reply

Latest