The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Bethany01
booooo.. so i got it wrong ?

No. As long as your structure is correct you should get most of the marks, you'd just lose a mark for the wrong name (If it's the wrong name)
Reply 1981
I thought for the synthesis one you had to make the first compound from the second? Cos it said something like 'how can oxandralone be synthesised from compound C or whatever it was? I hope so haha! :frown:

For reduction with NaBH4 are there any conditions or is it just 'with NaBH4' ?
booooo.. so i got it wrong ?

In january I think it said

IGNORE any names ....or words to that effect

that being said, its just safer to follow their instructions to the letter
Reply 1983
Original post by niaghez
overkill??

I wrote too much for 1 mark yours seems fine
got the same structure , except named it 2phenylethly methanoate , did i get it wrong ? will they mark me down , even if i got the structure right ?

I was thinking that in the exam. I thought of methylbenzene and then thought of ethylbenzene. Don't think its given the phenyl prefix as the ethyl group is less reactive than the benzene ring. They shouldn't mark you down if it is not in the mark scheme.
Hey guys! :smile: you kno for the 1 marker on how to get cl to NH3 is ethanolic ammonia okai or would you have to write reflux??? :smile:
Original post by myyrh
No. As long as your structure is correct you should get most of the marks, you'd just lose a mark for the wrong name (If it's the wrong name)

not always, I think on the longer question a wrong doesnt con a correct formula
Original post by DarkPeople
I was thinking that in the exam. I thought of methylbenzene and then thought of ethylbenzene. Don't think its given the phenyl prefix as the ethyl group is less reactive than the benzene ring. They shouldn't mark you down if it is not in the mark scheme.

Was the identifying the ester question 5b?
Original post by DarkPeople
They gave you the molecular ion peak at 164m/z which also the molar mass of the ester (164). Risk health could be anything cardiovascular related that isn't too obscure. So heart attacks, strokes, heart disease, CHD and stuff along those lines would be fine. Atherosclerosis should be ok in my books. And yeah join + water molecules. YOu had to make sure it was an open sequence though; left part would be -NH-R and the right part would be R-CO-. And your mechanism sounds about right and NO2

yep the condensation one put i had the benzene first and finsihed with o-- and did that , and the second part i removed hydrogen and got like a polymer but i did not extend the line for the benzene at the back at 4th postition do u get me ??? sorry for the unclear , and the question on degradbale i said making photosegradable
Original post by myyrh

do you know what the name for it was? or anyone else ( the name of the ester )
Reply 1990
photo[1].JPG
Reply 1991
I got phenylethyl ethanoate or somehing like that my ester could be formed from ethanoic acid and 2phenylethanol hopefully they overlook the attempt at naming D:
Did we need to name the ester?
Reply 1993
Original post by clad in armour
not always, I think on the longer question a wrong doesnt con a correct formula

Well If you look at the long F322 analysis questions when you had to deduce structures it would say in the mark scheme (If name and structure is given both must be correct) So I'm basing it on that.
Original post by adilh301
I got phenylethyl ethanoate or somehing like that my ester could be formed from ethanoic acid and 2phenylethanol hopefully they overlook the attempt at naming D:

i got that !! 2phenylethyle methanoate
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by otrivine
yep the condensation one put i had the benzene first and finsihed with o-- and did that , and the second part i removed hydrogen and got like a polymer but i did not extend the line for the benzene at the back at 4th postition do u get me ??? sorry for the unclear , and the question on degradbale i said making photosegradable

Urm lol, as long as you remove a H from the -NH2 in one end and the OH from the -COOH in the other, you'd be fine. And photodegradeable seems about right.
Reply 1997
Is there an unofficial mark scheme up yet
walked out of this and just shouted FUUUUUUUUUUUU....
Original post by Gman1234

Not sure bro. It was the last question in the paper and was relative short in question numbers. So I'm guessing it is 5b or 5c.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending