The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Tue 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
My chemistry teacher spent the whole year warning us to resit everything from AS and to work really hard to get as high as we could in F324, claiming that F325 was 'extremely hard' and could 'bring down your grade significantly'. Personally, I found F324 much harder, and much less interesting
Original post by tomkeys
For A-Level, I think so:smile: I think there was a question on the specimen paper about comparing the reactivity of benzene, phenol and cyclohexene with bromine and you seem to have hit the marking points that were on there for the first and third compounds.

I imagine the reason why benzene undergoes substitution has something to do with its stability and this being better preserved by a substitution rather than an addition, but that's beyond A-Level as far as I know.

Yh, thats one thing ive revsied properly lol :tongue: thankyou btw : for clearing that up for me :smile:
Reply 282
Hey, just a quick question,I was wondering, you know with d2o, say you had a molecule with 2 oh groups, would you need two molecules of d2o, or would both hydrogens replace the 2 ds, so you get h2o??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Aa234
Hey, just a quick question,I was wondering, you know with d2o, say you had a molecule with 2 oh groups, would you need two molecules of d2o, or would both hydrogens replace the 2 ds, so you get h2o??

Am guessing you only need one..but what was the actual question? were you asked to write the equation for it!

Also does anyone have the F324 definitions sheet! I had it for F325 was really helpful
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 284
Hey just wanted to ask for the spltting of a H1 spectrum, we only need to use the n + 1 rule? Dont know if anyones done them but was doing the questions from the red OCR book and they said its unlikely we need to know it but just want to check :smile:
Reply 285
Original post by s.a.u
My chemistry teacher spent the whole year warning us to resit everything from AS and to work really hard to get as high as we could in F324, claiming that F325 was 'extremely hard' and could 'bring down your grade significantly'. Personally, I found F324 much harder, and much less interesting

I definitely agree! Kind of resat everything anyway, not on purpose though ha, but yeah, f324 is much less interesting!
Reply 286
Can anyone be kind enough to help me on how to find Out how many carbon 13 peaks there are on aromatic compounds forgot how to do it :frown:
Reply 287
When you react an asymmetrical anhydride with an alcohol do you form a mixture of isomers?
Am I correct in thinking that only phenol undergoes reactions with NaOH and Na, and not alchohol?
Original post by 1234girl
Hey just wanted to ask for the spltting of a H1 spectrum, we only need to use the n + 1 rule? Dont know if anyones done them but was doing the questions from the red OCR book and they said its unlikely we need to know it but just want to check :smile:

You asking if there are any other rules we need to know? NO :smile:
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Am I correct in thinking that only phenol undergoes reactions with NaOH and Na, and not alchohol?

Alcohol is slightly acidic so alcohol with Na
produces H2 and the salt

EDIT: As for NaOh ..it looks like a nucleophilic substitution! not sure tho
(edited 11 years ago)
Got some questions for you all as part of your revision :smile::

1a. What type of reaction is making proteins? [1]
1b. How many isomers are possible from making proteins from two amino acids [1]

2a. What is the reagent for the acid hydrolysis of proteins? Also give its concentration, how it is used and how long it is used for [4]
2b How do you decide how many water molecules are needed for the acid hydrolysis of proteins? [1]
2c. Give the general formula of the two amino acids produced from the acid hydrolysis of NH2CH2CONHCHCH3COOH [2]
2d. Why are positive ions present in the products of the acid hydrolysis of proteins? [1]

3a For the alkaline hydrolysis of proteins, what reagent is needed? [1]
3b. What temperature is needed? [1]
3c Give the general formula of the two amino acids produced from the alkaline hydrolysis of NH2CH2CONHCHCH3COOH [2]

In total [14]
:smile:
Reply 292
Original post by arvin_infinity
You asking if there are any other rules we need to know? NO :smile:

I sense sarcasm :wink: but thanks for clarifying
Reply 293
hey, how are people revising for this exam? got my notes infront of me but nothings going in so wondering if anybody had any tips?
Reply 294
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
Got some questions for you all as part of your revision :smile::

1a. What type of reaction is making proteins? [1]
1b. How many isomers are possible from making proteins from two amino acids [1]

2a. What is the reagent for the acid hydrolysis of proteins? Also give its concentration, how it is used and how long it is used for [4]
2b How do you decide how many water molecules are needed for the acid hydrolysis of proteins? [1]
2c. Give the general formula of the two amino acids produced from the acid hydrolysis of NH2CH2CONHCHCH3COOH [2]
2d. Why are positive ions present in the products of the acid hydrolysis of proteins? [1]

3a For the alkaline hydrolysis of proteins, what reagent is needed? [1]
3b. What temperature is needed? [1]
3c Give the general formula of the two amino acids produced from the alkaline hydrolysis of NH2CH2CONHCHCH3COOH [2]

In total [14]
:smile:

1a) Condensation
b) 4
2a)HCl, 6moldm-3, aqueous, 24 hours
b) How many amide bonds there are?
d) The products act as a base, so accept protons, forming positive ions.

3a) Naoh
b) 100c

Missed out a few because im lazy, but answers would be great :smile:
Reply 295
Original post by lilac237
hey, how are people revising for this exam? got my notes infront of me but nothings going in so wondering if anybody had any tips?

Examination questions at the end of each module :smile:

Original post by 1234girl
1a) Condensation
b) 4
2a)HCl, 6moldm-3, aqueous, 24 hours
b) How many amide bonds there are?
d) The products act as a base, so accept protons, forming positive ions.

3a) Naoh
b) 100c

Missed out a few because im lazy, but answers would be great :smile:

i thought we didnt need to know this?
Reply 297
Original post by gerrard1892
Best way to revise for this paper is to just write all the reactions down in module 1 and 2. I did this, then go over them a couple hours later, just keep doing this and they will stick. Then for module 3 just past papers. Do the examples, its better then reading the book over and over again. :smile: good luck :smile:

so sweet! thanks :biggrin:
Does deuterium substitute the OH group on carboxyllic acids? what about phenols?
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Does deuterium substitute the OH group on carboxyllic acids? what about phenols?

yes, Deuterium substitutes the 'H' on ANY OH group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending