The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Casshern1456
AQA CHEM4 Q2 June 2010.jpg

Can someone go through step by step how we work out the Moles, I know h2 is 1M because there is 0.25 CO2, but what about the others?

Per 0.25mol of CO2 produced, the reactants have to use that amount to create it, therefore 1-0.25=0.75 mol and with water there has to be two mols used up therefore 2-(2x0.25)=1.5mol
Original post by TheRenaissanceMan
Can someone Please Help me.

On January 2011, Chemistry.JPG

Question 5i, it says Deduce the number of C-13 NMR Peaks, I don't understand why it is 6, and not 5? Do you include TMS?

Please someone explain:

Link as well : http://postimage.org/image/5ztmsnxm9/

6 different C environments but the attached group is symmetry so 3 c groups. Then the benzene have 3 Carbon groups in different environment.

Chemistry.JPG
Original post by lamalas600
For nitrobenzene you use Sn/HCl, for preparing primary amines you use Ni/H2

You know for Primary amines cant you use LiAlH4???
Original post by TheRenaissanceMan
Can someone Please Help me.

On January 2011, Chemistry.JPG

Question 5i, it says Deduce the number of C-13 NMR Peaks, I don't understand why it is 6, and not 5? Do you include TMS?

Please someone explain:

Link as well : http://postimage.org/image/5ztmsnxm9/

There are 6 different C types; 3 in the R group, and 3 in the Benzene atom.
Reply 704
Original post by shuaib786

Yes, reduction of nitriles to primary amines can be done with LiAlH4.
Original post by shuaib786

I think so yes, you will probably get marks for either. Though I only remembered the Sn one from my notes :smile:
Reply 706
Original post by Doctor.
Yeah nuc substitution occurs. Lone pair on N to the +ve C atom on the haloalkane

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Casshern1456
6 different C environments but the attached group is symmetry so 3 c groups. Then the benzene have 3 Carbon groups in different environment.

Chemistry.JPG

Thank you but I don't understand the two you circled on the far left.

I drew it out, and wouldn't the Left Carbons be attached to 2 carbons and 1 hydrogen.

Then the middle Carbons (in the Benzene), be attached to 2 Carbons and 1 Hydrogen as well???/

Original post by Saphire_93
There are 6 different C types; 3 in the R group, and 3 in the Benzene atom.

I don't understand why there are 3 in the R group and not 2 (repeat of what I said above)
(edited 11 years ago)
Jan 10 q1 (i), just wondering why the water is plus 0.54 of moles rather than minus? :/
Original post by mrshinyshoes
Jan 10 q1 (i), just wondering why the water is plus 0.54 of moles rather than minus? :/

Because the reactants are being used up creating more products, therefore more water is created as well
Original post by lamalas600
Because the reactants are being used up creating more products, therefore more water is created as well

oh yeah, oops :colondollar:
Good luck for tomorrow guys :smile:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Why is question 4B. number of Mr peaks 5 again?
If you can find patterns in the colours it's so much easier :smile: I've just turned over to a huge buffer question and a little piece of me died inside :frown:
Anyone got a link to the examiners report for jan 2010, i can't find it anywhere :frown:
Reply 715
whats the answer to

Calculate the concentration, in mol dm–3, of an aqueous solution of sulfuric acid that has a pH of 0.25...

i get that h2so4 is diprotic but dont understand why you have to divide by two when you do log10-0.25
Original post by mrshinyshoes
Anyone got a link to the examiners report for jan 2010, i can't find it anywhere :frown:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-WRE-JAN10.PDF
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Good luck for tomorrow guys :smile:

Same to you. :wink:
Original post by rss.914
Calculate the concentration, in mol dm–3, of an aqueous solution of sulfuric acid
that has a pH of 0.25

10^-0.25=0.56moldm^-3 to get [H+]
However, H2SO4 is diprotic, therefore to get the conc. of [H+] in H2SO4, you will have to to do 0.56/2= 0.28moldm^-3

H2SO4 --> 2H+ + SO42-
(edited 11 years ago)
lol i didn't even know the exam was tomorrow :zomg: I thought it was on the 14th and we have C3 tomorrow!! Phew, was gonna do a whole days of C3 revision. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending