The Student Room Group

A-level History Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level History Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - History 7042

Edexcel - History 9H10

OCR- History A

WJEC - History

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:

Does anyone know how to find examiners reports for AQA History A Level beyond 2018?
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Does anyone know how to find examiners reports for AQA History A Level beyond 2018?

same I've been looking for them, the AQA website has some missing
Original post by average_human
same I've been looking for them, the AQA website has some missing

The aqa website sucks ass😭 you can’t even find candidate exemplars either
Original post by Evil Homer
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:

I found a helpful website with literally all the notes for the syllabus. I recommend being cautious and not going to in depth because chances are you won't even be able to talk about the ton of extra details in the exam. Here's the link: https://www.historyfromonestudenttoanother.com/home (just go straight to the content bar - three small bars in the top left corner - to find notes on Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini)
Hello everyone!

How's the history revision going? Have any of you come across any more useful resources?

A Level History Study Group

Hey everyone!
I did History A-Level last year, OCR: Tudors, Civil Rights in the USA, Cold War and my NEA was on Russia!
I got an A* so happy to answer any questions :smile:
Original post by WillowRose33!
Hey everyone!
I did History A-Level last year, OCR: Tudors, Civil Rights in the USA, Cold War and my NEA was on Russia!

Congrats on your A*! How did you get it?
Congrats on your A*! How did you get it?

My NEA was solid which really helped!
I would definitely recommend making mind-maps in thematically AND chronologically, especially for your largest module! It makes synthesising your knowledge much easier and smoother. If your do OCR (unsure if its the same for all boards :smile:), the largest module, mine was Civil Rights, has very simple types of questions that can come up. If you find out patterns, if you do OCR civil rights im happy to share, but if not, make as many plans as you can!
I found it so much easier to know how I was going to structure each essays- the structure changes but the information stays the same!

Any other questions just pm or ask on here!
My NEA was solid which really helped!
I would definitely recommend making mind-maps in thematically AND chronologically, especially for your largest module! It makes synthesising your knowledge much easier and smoother. If your do OCR (unsure if its the same for all boards :smile:), the largest module, mine was Civil Rights, has very simple types of questions that can come up. If you find out patterns, if you do OCR civil rights im happy to share, but if not, make as many plans as you can!
I found it so much easier to know how I was going to structure each essays- the structure changes but the information stays the same!

Any other questions just pm or ask on here!

Thank you! I do aqa but this is still v helpful! :smile: can i just ask when you started revise for exams?
Thank you! I do aqa but this is still v helpful! :smile: can i just ask when you started revise for exams?

I started bringing together information about nowish but by no means was I remembering any of it!
I also did Cold War so mainly spent my time making one massive timeline with all the events I needed to know. I also did this with Tudors and Civil rights but to a lesser degree.
I would also recommend making flash cards now, but I did this infront of TV- you do not need to start memorising stuff now! But by doing the time consuming task of making your revision resources, by study leave you can focus on the remembering and not making notes

So when study leave hit, I had my big notes in one place and all my flash cards done so then I would learn them and for me, making essay plans was where I would bring it all together!
I started bringing together information about nowish but by no means was I remembering any of it!
I also did Cold War so mainly spent my time making one massive timeline with all the events I needed to know. I also did this with Tudors and Civil rights but to a lesser degree.
I would also recommend making flash cards now, but I did this infront of TV- you do not need to start memorising stuff now! But by doing the time consuming task of making your revision resources, by study leave you can focus on the remembering and not making notes

So when study leave hit, I had my big notes in one place and all my flash cards done so then I would learn them and for me, making essay plans was where I would bring it all together!

Thank you I really appreciate it! I’ve been doing those already so that’s good to know. I write small post it notes of things I forget but most of the time just ensure I understand the content and make essay plans.
Thanks @WillowRose33! those are some brilliant tips! I think structuring essay answers is something a lot of people find difficult - it can be so hard to get your thoughts down in the right order, so it's great to have a format that you can apply to organise your thoughts :smile:
Hi there, I have just seen your comments above and think they could really help me 😊 I am currently in year 12 and studying OCR History The early Tudors and Civil Rights. It would be really helpful to me if you would be happy to share your civil rights notes to support my revision and planning? Thank you

Original post by Hannah2367
Hi there, I have just seen your comments above and think they could really help me 😊 I am currently in year 12 and studying OCR History The early Tudors and Civil Rights. It would be really helpful to me if you would be happy to share your civil rights notes to support my revision and planning? Thank you

lol you’ve quoted the wrong person, I don’t do either of those
Hey everyone!

Hi!! I did History A-Level last year and managed to get my grade from a C in year 12 to an A in my final exam!
I did Edexcel: Russia 1917-91, the GDR 1949-90, and Tudor Rebellions 1485-1603
My NEA was on Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler, and I achieved an A* in that
I'm really happy to answer any questions anyone might have
Original post by flora87
Hi!! I did History A-Level last year and managed to get my grade from a C in year 12 to an A in my final exam!
I did Edexcel: Russia 1917-91, the GDR 1949-90, and Tudor Rebellions 1485-1603
My NEA was on Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler, and I achieved an A* in that
I'm really happy to answer any questions anyone might have

Do you have any exemplar essays that you could possibly share?
Original post by user393
Do you have any exemplar essays that you could possibly share?

I think I should have a few - what are you after?
Hey everyone!

Im currently doing my NEA and its due next week any tips about into and conclusion i haven't done either yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending