The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cuckoo99
really ? i drew 2-methlyprop-1-ene

This is not a functional group isomer because it still contains the same functional group which is the carbon- carbon double bond. Structures for cyclobutane or methylcyclopropane will both score.
Paper was pretty easy, might have messed up some of calculations cos didnt really check through, but I found it muchhh easier than when I did it in jan.
Original post by tony_dolby
This is not a functional group isomer because it still contains the same functional group which is the carbon- carbon double bond. Structures for cyclobutane or methylcyclopropane will both score.

oh, didnt think the cyclo hydrocarbons came up in unit1 lol silly me there goes another mark :frown:
Reply 1183
Yes. They asked for the structure and not 'displayed formula'.

Hey, you seem knowledgeable. I was wondering if you could help me please.

On question 4(b)(ii) - "Explain, in terms of its structure and bonding, why titanium has a high melting point."
Would I get CE for saying "The attraction between positive ions and delocalised electrons are strong and so there is strong metallic bonding. These bonds are strong and therefore require a lot of energy to break."

I'm worrying that I've made a contradiction/false chemical knowledge :frown: I wrote similar for the question on the ionic compound, just the ionic version obv, but can't stop worrying that I won't get any marks on those because of any contradictions! So sorry to bother you but would really appreciate if you could help give your insight please?
the question on state the crystal structure of titanium, i put metallic latice

is that right?
also i put for MgO giant ionic latice
Reply 1185
the question on state the crystal structure of titanium, i put metallic latice

is that right?
also i put for MgO giant ionic latice

unofficial mark scheme
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2001747

yes and i questioned it on that thread aswell.....
Reply 1187
yes and i questioned it on that thread aswell.....

ok. Surely you'd know by now then. You used the keywords, i.e. 'metallic' and 'ionic'.
Original post by pjanoo
ok. Surely you'd know by now then. You used the keywords, i.e. 'metallic' and 'ionic'.

ye but puting just 'ionic' and 'metallic' cant be right as they ask for the structure, so maybe the unofficial markscheme needs to be changed ? i dunno hopefully it is just use the keyword
Reply 1189
ye but puting just 'ionic' and 'metallic' cant be right as they ask for the structure, so maybe the unofficial markscheme needs to be changed ? i dunno hopefully it is just use the keyword

there's nothing wrong with saying metallic/ionic structure. It's perfectly viable. In fact, that's all I ever see them put on past mark schemes, simply the keyword, not any coefficients like 'giant' etc. You wouldn't lose marks for saying giant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pjanoo
Hey, you seem knowledgeable. I was wondering if you could help me please.

On question 4(b)(ii) - "Explain, in terms of its structure and bonding, why titanium has a high melting point."
Would I get CE for saying "The attraction between positive ions and delocalised electrons are strong and so there is strong metallic bonding. These bonds are strong and therefore require a lot of energy to break."

I'm worrying that I've made a contradiction/false chemical knowledge :frown: I wrote similar for the question on the ionic compound, just the ionic version obv, but can't stop worrying that I won't get any marks on those because of any contradictions! So sorry to bother you but would really appreciate if you could help give your insight please?

Looks like a perfect answer to me.
Reply 1191
for the question which asked us to predict the bond angle, will I still get the mark for stating 109 degrees?
Reply 1192
Original post by pjanoo
there's nothing wrong with saying metallic/ionic structure. It's perfectly viable. In fact, that's all I ever see them put on past mark schemes, simply the keyword, not any coefficients like 'giant' etc. You wouldn't lose marks for saying giant.

It asked for the type of crystal so ionic and metallic are perfectly fine.
Reply 1193
Looks like a perfect answer to me.

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by knocker

Except if you put both! In this question metallic will score as will 'giant metallic' or 'metallic lattice' because there are no contradiction causing chemical errors. 'Ionic' will not score in 4 (b) (i).
Original post by JDMUFC
for the question which asked us to predict the bond angle, will I still get the mark for stating 109 degrees?

Yep.
Reply 1196
Original post by knocker
I think the marks for this will be one for the equation then...

3bp [1]
repel equally [1]

(if there are no lone paris I doubt they would give a mark for talking about lone pairs)

hi!
sorryto disturb but is it okay to say "lone pairs of electron repel more than bonding pairs"???? cheers
Original post by knocker

Hey knocker, sorry to bother you but is it ok if i put giant metallic instead of just metallic
And
Is it ok if i put giant ionic instead of ionic lattice

Thanksss
For the question about why Hydrogen bonds would not form, would it be okay to say as the molecule contains no Nitrogen, Oxygen or Flourine atoms, and Hydrogen bonds only form between Hydrogen atoms and Nitrogen, Oxygen or Flourine. Everyone seems to have wrote something about electronegativity :frown:
Would be alright to put cracking instead of thermal cracking as the name of the process of breaking down long chains into small chains? It becer said what type of cracking like in jan just **** is the process called

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending