Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Core 3- Trig

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    [sec(x) - 1 ]/tan(x) = [ tan (x)]/ sec(x) +1

So, i have to prove this identity is true. Ive managed to show it by dividing both sides by one of the sides, however i cant think how to start from either the left or right, and work myself to the other side. Any help would be awesome
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    \frac{sec-1}{tan} = [\frac{1}{cos} - 1]\frac{cos}{sin} = \frac{1-cos}{sin} = \frac{1-cos^2}{sin(1+cos)} = \frac{sin}{1+cos} = \frac{tan}{sec+1}
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonio108)
    [sec(x) - 1 ]/tan(x) = [ tan (x)]/ sec(x) +1

So, i have to prove this identity is true. Ive managed to show it by dividing both sides by one of the sides, however i cant think how to start from either the left or right, and work myself to the other side. Any help would be awesome
     \displaystyle \frac{secx-1}{tanx} \equiv \frac{tanx}{secx+1}

LHS =
     \displaystyle \frac{secx-1}{tanx} = \frac{\frac1{cosx}-1}{\frac{sinx}{cosx}} = \frac{\frac{1-cosx}{cosx}}{\frac{sinx}{cosx}}=  \frac{1-cosx}{sinx}=\frac{(1-cosx)(1+cosx)}{sinx(1+cosx)}}
     \displaystyle \frac{sin^2x}{sinx(1+cosx)} = \frac{sinx}{1+cosx}=\frac{\frac{  sinx}{cosx}}{\frac{1+cosx}{cosx}  }=\frac{tanx}{secx+1}
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Several methods, here is mine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you very much, just looking through and slowly realising what i have to look out for.
    Again, thanks!

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.