The Student Room Group

F584 Transport Economics June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by tornzy
In my opinion,

SECTION A was wierd, especially that 2 mark question about market concentration

SECTION B - Couldnt have been happier :smile:

Overall, I thought it was an okay exam, perhaps slightly harder than Jan 2012. How did you guys find it? Grade boundary predictions?

This! What question did you do from Section B?

I reckon it'll be around 43 for an A, 38 for a B etc.
Weirdish paper anyone do Q2 on section B, what did you write about?

P.s. HELLO HELEN DEADY (lol)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 102
I wrote this for diseconomies of scale:
- Diseconomies of scale is the causes of an increase in long-run average costs beyond the point of the minimum efficient scale.
- Problems of communication as a result of more employees.
- Problems of coordination when an airline expands because it is more difficult to manage.
- Mork workload for employees and possibilities of industrial actions.
- The airline itself my not be productively and allocatively efficient.
- However, it depends on the management.
- It depends on whether the airline has gained economies of scale and the initial size.
- Overall, it could lead to diseconomies of scale but not in all cases.
Reply 103
What did you guys write for the question on deregulation?
Hi can anyone quickly tell me what the questions were again and the marks each question were worth. Thank youuu x
Original post by Jtn Star

Were we supposed to all about transport markets in general. I only spoke about deregulation of the airline industry. I didn't have time to talk about the deregulation of the local bus market
Original post by tornzy
In my opinion,

Overall, I thought it was an okay exam, perhaps slightly harder than Jan 2012. How did you guys find it? Grade boundary predictions?

I thought section A was pretty good.
For the 2 mark question, i wrote that if the two airlines merge, they will have a new market share of 20.1% This means that they will have the second largest market share in the airline industry after British Airways, who have 37.4%.
Reply 107
I did question 3

Yeah, Im also hoping that the grade boundaries will go down too, as I reckon i made a few silly mistakes

Original post by Mani94
This! What question did you do from Section B?

I reckon it'll be around 43 for an A, 38 for a B etc.
Reply 108
Original post by tornzy
I did question 3

Yeah, Im also hoping that the grade boundaries will go down too, as I reckon i made a few silly mistakes

Same. I feel like my 15 marker was a bit vague even though I explained most of the characteristics of monopolistic competition and drew the normal and supernormal profit graphs. My 20 marker felt a bit better though.

Section A was odd so I'm with you on the boundaries!
wait... was the deregulation question just on the airline industry or all transport?!
what about the essays how did everyone find them?
Reply 111

I talked about how it would be beneficial for the transport market because of increased competition which leads to lower prices. The EU Open Skies Policy also meant that more airlines would be able to enter the market.
However,deregulation doesnt benefit transport markets because:

- Open Skies policy only affects EU and USA - Airlines around of the world may have oligopolist airlines which dominate airline market
- Incumbent bus firms are likely to collude tacticly in order to scare off new entrants. They may do this by operating bus routes that do not duplicate each other, in order to prevent their costs of production from increasing
- Incumbent bus firms may also aim towards sales revenue maximisation by producing where MC=O. Once again, likely to do this to scare off new entrants and in the long run, increase prices again in order to gain monopoly power.
- Deregulation did not occur in London, so it cant be beneficial for London.
- Bus Market has high barriers to entry - Cost of a bus is around £180K which may not give the incentive for new firms to enter.

What did you write?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Mani94
Same. I feel like my 15 marker was a bit vague even though I explained most of the characteristics of monopolistic competition and drew the normal and supernormal profit graphs. My 20 marker felt a bit better though.

Section A was odd so I'm with you on the boundaries!

Yeah same, I feel that i described lots of characteristics of monopolistic competition rather than analyse some of them. My 20 marker was rushed because I only had 20 minutes to do it so i think my conclusion was very weak
Reply 113
Original post by blackstarz245
I thought section A was pretty good.
For the 2 mark question, i wrote that if the two airlines merge, they will have a new market share of 20.1% This means that they will have the second largest market share in the airline industry after British Airways, who have 37.4%.

I also writ that they would have a market share of 20.1%, but i realised that this wasnt enough to be of Monopoly Power, so I stupidly didnt know what else to write so I definitely dropped a mark there unfortunately
Reply 114
Original post by daniiibrains
wait... was the deregulation question just on the airline industry or all transport?!

It said 'Such as the EU's Open Skies Policy', this means that you didnt just have to write about the airline industry - you also coulda writ about buses, rail, etc
Original post by Chazzybish
I'd give three main points that you clearly analyse (usually mark schemes say 2 but to be safe give three as you have time and one of your points might not be as strong). That example is good, remember to apply it to transport (e.g. arising from congestion or what have you) and perhaps expand a bit on the cost of pollution (e.g. health or environmental effects). That depends however on whether the question focuses exclusively on negative externalities or whether this forms only part of a bigger point on another topic.

Generally I don't conclude 15 mark questions because there's usually nothing to say that you haven't already said and you don't get any marks for structuring your answer on 15 mark questions AFAIK. It should be quite developed - you have about 30 minutes to write it so you have plenty of time to get some depth into your points.

Hope this helps.

Wise words Mr Chazzybish :wink:
Original post by tornzy
It said 'Such as the EU's Open Skies Policy', this means that you didnt just have to write about the airline industry - you also coulda writ about buses, rail, etc

gahh how many marks would I have lost only writing about the airline industry?
Original post by tornzy
In my opinion,

I always find 'analyse market characteristics ... ' weird because the only things I can think of are barriers of entry, price maker/taker, number of firms etc.
How can you write an essay of it?
I chose question 3 (monopolistic and monopoly), for the monopolistic I wrote about short run and long run equilibrium (and efficiency) and the characteristics. Thats all what I know about monopolistic competition.
Reply 118
Original post by daniiibrains
gahh how many marks would I have lost only writing about the airline industry?

None :smile: So long as you made three good analysis points and five good evaluative points, its still possible to gain all of the marks
I wrote this for diseconomies of scale:
- Diseconomies of scale is the causes of an increase in long-run average costs beyond the point of the minimum efficient scale.
- Problems of communication as a result of more employees.
- Problems of coordination when an airline expands because it is more difficult to manage.
- Mork workload for employees and possibilities of industrial actions.
- The airline itself my not be productively and allocatively efficient.
- However, it depends on the management.
- It depends on whether the airline has gained economies of scale and the initial size.
- Overall, it could lead to diseconomies of scale but not in all cases.

My English is not good, do you think it's alright to say 'economies of scale may outweigh the diseconomies of scale' ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending