The Student Room Group

graph concentration rate of reaction

please see attatched- very short question

Edit...also I know it doesn't always work like this but in GENERAL if you double the concentration then is the rate of reaction twice as fast and the amount of product produced twice as much in GENERAL

also ignore white strip/line
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Looking at the note on the graph, did you use the same volume of acid each time? If so, you've used different QUANTITIES of acid as the concentrations are different and hence the greater volume of gas produced at completion.

For the rate of reaction, you need to look at the gradients/slope of the lines. If you then make a graph of the gradient on the y axis and the concentration of acid on the x, then you will be able to see how concentration affects rate in this particular reaction.

It isn't true in general (always be wary about using vague terms in science!) that doubling a reactant concentration doubles the rate of reaction. For example, there are many reactions where altering the concentration of a reactant has no effect whatsoever on the rate! It is all to do with what intermediate states the reactants pass between on their journey to becoming products. Indeed, studies of rates can greatly help chemists work these mechanisms out.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Yeah it helped quite a bit. If the volume of acid is CONSTANT but the concentration changed would the shape be as it's shown in the attatched.

I was thinking that the higher the concentration the faster the rate. Since the top curve has the highest concentration I was thinking that it should curve earlier than the other two lines (as in the attatched document they all curve at the same time).

so if i was asked to draw the line for 4 M at the same volume would it be wrong to draw it twice as high as the 2M...what would I draw?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest