The Student Room Group

biology aqa alevel enzymes question

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hello! I think it's because both curves plateau at the same y-value/height, so the number of glucose molecules ultimately produced is the same with both G and I. If you increased the concentration of maltose (the sugar), you would ultimately end up with more glucose molecules, as the maltase enzymes would continue to hydrolyse them - the curve might not plateau as fast (the reaction might take longer), but the 'height' of the plateau on the graph would be greater. However, by increasing the concentration of maltase (the enzyme), you are just hydrolysing the existing maltose in the solution more quickly/higher rate of reaction, but the same amount of glucose is ultimately produced. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by libertyalicexxx
Hello! I think it's because both curves plateau at the same y-value/height, so the number of glucose molecules ultimately produced is the same with both G and I. If you increased the concentration of maltose (the sugar), you would ultimately end up with more glucose molecules, as the maltase enzymes would continue to hydrolyse them - the curve might not plateau as fast (the reaction might take longer), but the 'height' of the plateau on the graph would be greater. However, by increasing the concentration of maltase (the enzyme), you are just hydrolysing the existing maltose in the solution more quickly/higher rate of reaction, but the same amount of glucose is ultimately produced. Hope this helps.

thank u so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest