The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 5 June 19 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by alz333
london forces and permenant dipole-permenant dipole

Surely Hydrogen bonding as well, because there was a nitrogen bonded to a hydrogen atom? Also 5 marks would be fairly difficult to get by simply stating and explaining two types of intermolecular force? wouldn't it?
Original post by sjg94
Surely Hydrogen bonding as well, because there was a nitrogen bonded to a hydrogen atom? Also 5 marks would be fairly difficult to get by simply stating and explaining two types of intermolecular force? wouldn't it?

Yeah there were definitely H bonds. You had to specifically say dipole-dipole bonds due to the polar C=O.
Reply 1182
Original post by TheAdrianoo789
The CH3s are not all in the same environment... they all have different sorroundings, so it's 4!!!

thats what im not getting ! why do we need to see CH3's environment ? dont we see only H's environment ?! well theres goes another mark for me...
Reply 1183
i said all three H bonds . dipole interactions and london forces....!! and then i explained all of them lol
Original post by marc_h94
Yeah there were definitely H bonds. You had to specifically say dipole-dipole bonds due to the polar C=O.

So will they give 3 marks just for stating the intermolecular forces??
Original post by iesians
thats what im not getting ! why do we need to see CH3's environment ? dont we see only H's environment ?! well theres goes another mark for me...

Did you not do NMR in Unit 4???
According to you how many peaks would pentanol give: CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH?
Reply 1186
Did you not do NMR in Unit 4???
According to you how many peaks would pentanol give: CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2OH?

in low = three peaks ! lol
kill meh noww !! :tongue:
Reply 1187
Original post by EffKayy
So will they give 3 marks just for stating the intermolecular forces??

and then the other 2 marks for explaining them !
like c=o group is polar so forms dipole
and N-H form H bonds ....
Original post by iesians
in low = three peaks ! lol
kill meh noww !! :tongue:

:facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:
Reply 1189
Original post by EffKayy

loool temme the answer genius !! :tongue:
Original post by EffKayy

A rather fitting response.
Original post by iesians
loool temme the answer genius !! :tongue:

its 6! all the CH2s are different distances from the OH thus their protons all interact with the magnetic field differently!!!
Reply 1192
ok so apparantly im doomed
Its 100% 2 peaks for the question you;re all talking about. The Methyl groups were bounded to Nitrogen. So there are 9 hydrogens adjacent to a hydrogen. And one CH group (10 hydrogens in total) so two peaks ration 9:1. !!
Wow do i wanna type any worse. Basically two peaks... One nine hydrogens.. Because 3 CH3's all bonded to nitrogen. And One CH Group. :smile:
Reply 1195
its 6! all the CH2s are different distances from the OH thus their protons all interact with the magnetic field differently!!!

ok then i was taught wrong the entire year !
AMSJHFHYRRGUFHBVJN OD !! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 1196
Original post by ohwellohwell
Its 100% 2 peaks for the question you;re all talking about. The Methyl groups were bounded to Nitrogen. So there are 9 hydrogens adjacent to a hydrogen. And one CH group (10 hydrogens in total) so two peaks ration 9:1. !!

OH WELL !!!!! youre an angel !!!!!
AHHHHHHH HEAVEN ! i wrote 2 too !!
thank god im not crazy !!:colondollar::biggrin:
Original post by iesians
ok so apparantly im doomed

Doomed cos you lost 1 mark...? nahhh :P
Original post by iesians
OH WELL !!!!! youre an angel !!!!!
AHHHHHHH HEAVEN ! i wrote 2 too !!
thank god im not crazy !!:colondollar::biggrin:

Haha, nah pretty sure you're right... whole point of NMR which we were taught about is you have to look at adjacent atom to any hydrogen environment, and the question made it abundantly clear all methyl groups were bonded to a nitrogen!
Reply 1199
Doomed cos you lost 1 mark...? nahhh :P

i lost mark like EVERYWHERE !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending