The Student Room Group

Test for double bond

A question states: "Bromine solution can be used to distinguish between but-2-ene and butane. Give the colour change that would be expected"

I wrote down Brown to colourless, as all the other MS's have accepted up until this question (jan13). However, when I check the answers, it states the answer should be "Orange - colourless" and more importantly, "no credit for Brown"! Why is it suddenly not brown?

For those wondering, this is WJEC CH2 Jan 13- Q12)b(i)

I hope for a quick reply, exam is Tuesday haha! Thankyou. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by No-Idea.
A question states: "Bromine solution can be used to distinguish between but-2-ene and butane. Give the colour change that would be expected"

I wrote down Brown to colourless, as all the other MS's have accepted up until this question (jan13). However, when I check the answers, it states the answer should be "Orange - colourless" and more importantly, "no credit for Brown"! Why is it suddenly not brown?

For those wondering, this is WJEC CH2 Jan 13- Q12)b(i)

I hope for a quick reply, exam is Tuesday haha! Thankyou. :smile:

It's somewhere on the orange-brown spectrum; precisely where depends on the concentration, though it's usually more orangey. It's silly that they wouldn't accept brown (unless it's indicated elsewhere in the question that it's orange before you add it to the alkane/ene) but at least now you know to say orange!
I find it odd that they completely discredit brown. All the bromine water I've ever come across has had a brown-orange colour. Ah well, just go by orange so that you wont have marks deducted.
Reply 3
It's a shame they don't accept non-colourless to colourless that would distinguish between them perfectly well... A levels....
Reply 4
Bromine liquid is brown
But it is bromine solution so aq. Bromine or bromine water is orange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by devindiw
Bromine liquid is brown
But it is bromine solution so aq. Bromine or bromine water is orange.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bromine liquid is very dark red ...
Reply 6
Thank you all! For starts, it never came up in the exam anyway haha! And secondly, my teacher told me the mark scheme was meant to say "No credit for Red-Brown" where as it actually said "No credit for Red or Brown". So accepting brown. Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest