The Student Room Group

Does anyone why the answer to this a level chemistry question is A

Does anyone why the answer to this a level chemistry question
Which compound could react with both

K2Cr2O7/H2SO4 in an oxidation reaction and
an acid catalyst (e.g. H2SO4) in an elimination reaction?

A

B

C

D
I can't see any structures - maybe try taking a photo or using snipping tool to copy the question ?

General advice - You're looking for a compound which can be oxidised by K2Cr2O7/H2SO4 so Primary alcohol, secondary alcohol, aldehyde and also reacts with H2SO4 so elimination of water so it will be an alcohol I think .
Hi Sophi
It is the question below. What confuses me is that A is correct compound in the attached image because the alcohol can react with the concentrated sulphuric acid to form alkene in an elimination recstion and can be oxidised to ketone but I do not know why B or C are both correct as well.
An alcohol would both undergo oxidation with K2Cr2O7 and elimination (acid catalysed dehydration reaction) using either excess concentrated H2SO4 or H3PO4,

Hope it helps :smile:
C is a tertiary alcohol so could not be oxidised ( no hydrogen on same carbon available for oxygen to remove).

B would not react with an acid catalyst in elimination because that carbon cannot form a double bond when water is removed ( hard to explain in words but try drawing compound out in displayed formula and trying to take out two hydrogen to form a double bond - the carbons next to it are bonded to alkyl groups not hydrogens so these bonds are too strong to be broken in this reaction)
Thank you very much.
Original post by chemist20221
Thank you very much.

wait so whats the answer
Original post by Yahsjejeisi
wait so whats the answer

It's A

Quick Reply

Latest