The Student Room Group

Can you receive ESA during a leave of absence? (including hospital treatment)

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether you can receive ESA when on a leave of absence for a year or more from university?

I am due to go into hospital for around 4 months from late September so if I wasn't still registered as a student I would qualify for ESA during my treatment but I am still officially registered as a full time student (this will be my second year of absence).

I do not receive PIP/DLA and have been without any money for the past year but living at home.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by rose-star
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether you can receive ESA when on a leave of absence for a year or more from university?

I am due to go into hospital for around 4 months from late September so if I wasn't still registered as a student I would qualify for ESA during my treatment but I am still officially registered as a full time student (this will be my second year of absence).

I do not receive PIP/DLA and have been without any money for the past year but living at home.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :smile:

As far as I'm aware, no you can't. If you're still down as being a student, then you won't qualify for an employment-linked benefit. It's the same as getting JSA during term-time. You could always ask your university to remove you, if you're going to be absent for a substantial length of time. I assume you're not paying tuition fees though?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply strangey. No, I'm not paying tuition fees but need ESA for travel costs related to my treatment and because I am unable to buy basic things like deodorant and waterproof footwear just now.

I've looked into it and I think I can only get ESA if I am awarded PIP (the new DLA), which is unlikely
Merde!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply strangey. No, I'm not paying tuition fees but need ESA for travel costs related to my treatment and because I am unable to buy basic things like deodorant and waterproof footwear just now.

I've looked into it and I think I can only get ESA if I am awarded PIP (the new DLA), which is unlikely
Merde!

If you're not paying tuition fees, then you shouldn't qualify as a student. See if you can get a letter from your university saying that you're on a year off, and will not be attending lectures and are not considered a student in any way. See if you can use that to get PIP as you're unemployed.
Reply 4
Apply for PIP if you fit the criteria. You would then grt ESA regardless of your student status.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Apply for PIP if you fit the criteria. You would then grt ESA regardless of your student status.

Thanks OUStudent. I feel kind of anxious about applying for PIP because I find it hard to make phone calls and you are interviewed over the phone to assess your suitability before they send the forms to you. Stupidly I kept delaying sending my DLA forms in for months and then they introduced PIP. Are you on PIP?

Also thanks Strangey- I'm not sure but it seems like when you're on a leave of absence you are still treated as being a full-time student, which is pretty absurd as you can't receive any loans/grants on leave or work if ill!
Reply 6
Thanks OUStudent. I feel kind of anxious about applying for PIP because I find it hard to make phone calls and you are interviewed over the phone to assess your suitability before they send the forms to you. Stupidly I kept delaying sending my DLA forms in for months and then they introduced PIP. Are you on PIP?
/QUOTE]

I'm not on PIP, no. I'm also worried about the phone call. One problem I have is that I can't explain things properly. And most people don't understand my speech either.:frown:
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Student;43704164" OU="OU"]
/QUOTE]

I'm not on PIP, no. I'm also worried about the phone call. One problem I have is that I can't explain things properly. And most people don't understand my speech either.:frown:

Aw yeah, sorry to hear that. It's really tricky for people with a range of disabilities to make phone calls so I don't see why they got rid of the online application process!

I'm considering getting a relative to phone for me and writing down everything that needs to be discussed. Apparently that can be done provided you are present to confirm that they are phoning on your behalf- might be worth you doing the same?
Reply 8
Original post by Strangey
If you're not paying tuition fees, then you shouldn't qualify as a student. See if you can get a letter from your university saying that you're on a year off, and will not be attending lectures and are not considered a student in any way. See if you can use that to get PIP as you're unemployed.

I'm really really sorry, but this isn't how the decisions are decided - there is official guidance that NO student on a leave of medical absence is permitted ESA unless they completely withdraw, are de-registered as a student, cut off from the university officially and have to re-apply in order to go back. Obviously this is not the state that students on a leave of absence are actually in - in my case and those I know, the universities are holding our places open for us, because that's just the sensible, kind and considerate thing you do for students who you know are coming back.

As far as I can make out, some interrupted students have had lenient DWP treatment and been allowed ESA in the sort of circumstance you describe, with a similar university letter. Everyone I know in this position right now is struggling under strict application of the rules though.

We're starting up a campaign/lobby - please please get in touch with your experience and if you need hands-on or paperwork advice and help!
Reply 9
Original post by chai wallah
I'm really really sorry, but this isn't how the decisions are decided - there is official guidance that NO student on a leave of medical absence is permitted ESA unless they completely withdraw, are de-registered as a student, cut off from the university officially and have to re-apply in order to go back. Obviously this is not the state that students on a leave of absence are actually in - in my case and those I know, the universities are holding our places open for us, because that's just the sensible, kind and considerate thing you do for students who you know are coming back.

As far as I can make out, some interrupted students have had lenient DWP treatment and been allowed ESA in the sort of circumstance you describe, with a similar university letter. Everyone I know in this position right now is struggling under strict application of the rules though.

We're starting up a campaign/lobby - please please get in touch with your experience and if you need hands-on or paperwork advice and help!

Sorry for my late reply. I'm quite interested to hear about the campaign if you could let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending