The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Caz_
lots of organic stuff, as usual probably. I have a feeling there will be some moles calculations in section B for some reason. Don't take my word on it though - I honestly have no idea :L Do you have any predictions?

shapes, periodicity.. Not sure either to be honest :L
Can sum1 explain to me why the answer is second??

Question 5g) June 2013
Which one of the first second or third ionisations of thallium produces an ion with the electron configuration [Xe] 5d10 6s1
Reply 182
Original post by jack97
For naming the shapes, say you've got a a molecule with 4 electron pairs, consisting of 1 lone pair and 3 bonding pairs. Can we just name it as 'tetrahedral', or do we have to be specific like 'trigonal pyramid' due to the lone pair distorting the shape.

I thought tetrahedral was like CH4 molecules and trigonal pyramidal was Like ammonia (NH3 with lone pair?) I'm so bad at shapes...
Reply 183
Original post by Lucy5000
can someone help with may 2012 Q5a

Pressure has to be in Pascals and Volume in m3

PV=nRT
100,000 x 0.005 = n x 8.31 x 298

n = (100,000 x 0.005) / (8.31 x 298) = 0.2019...

n, the number of moles of gas in mixture of 2BCl3 + 3CO = 0.2019...

n, the number of moles in B2O3 = 0.2019.. / 5 = 0.0403..

Mass of B2O3 = Mr x n = 69.61 x 0.403... = 2.81g
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _Caz_
I thought tetrahedral was like CH4 molecules and trigonal pyramidal was Like ammonia (NH3 with lone pair?) I'm so bad at shapes...

no, if a molecule has a lone pair then it changes its shape due to the repulsion, thats why im wondering whether we can just say tetrahedal for a molecule with 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, or do we have to call it a trigonal pyramid.
Reply 185
Original post by jack97
no, if a molecule has a lone pair then it changes its shape due to the repulsion, thats why im wondering whether we can just say tetrahedal for a molecule with 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, or do we have to call it a trigonal pyramid.

Just call it bent or v-shaped
Original post by sa97
Pressure has to be in Pascals and Volume in m3

PV=nRT
100,000 x 0.005 = n x 8.31 x 298

n = (100,000 x 0.005) / (8.31 x 298) = 0.2019...

n, the number of moles of gas in mixture of 2BCl3 + 3CO = 0.2019...

n, the number of moles in B2O3 = 0.2019.. / 5 = 0.0403..

Mass of B2O3 = Mr x n = 69.61 x 0.403... = 2.81g

thanx but why do I multiply number of moles in b2o3 by 5? Where is the 5 coming from?

let me rephrase that. Why am I diving by 5? "The number of moles in b2o3 = 0.2019/5. Confused how you got 5?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jack97

If it says shape that the atoms make, say distorted trigonal pyramid.
Original post by jack97
For naming the shapes, say you've got a a molecule with 4 electron pairs, consisting of 1 lone pair and 3 bonding pairs. Can we just name it as 'tetrahedral', or do we have to be specific like 'trigonal pyramid' due to the lone pair distorting the shape.

You have to say trigonal pyramidal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by jack97

both are on the markscheme dont worry
Original post by cams101
Just call it bent or v-shaped

sorry but thats wrong.
Original post by Jake97
both are on the markscheme dont worry

ok thanks, so does that go the same for octahedral?

4 Bonding, 2 Lone = 6 Electron Pairs, can i say octahedral or square planar
6 bonding = octahedral.

So i only need to know the 4 main shapes? Linear, trigonal planar, tetra, octa
Reply 192
Original post by jack97
sorry but thats wrong.

oh yeah lol thought it said 2 bonding pairs, my bad.
Reply 193
Original post by jack97

Is this wrong then?
Original post by _Caz_
Is this wrong then?

thats right.
Reply 195
Original post by ThatMadClown
thats right.

Reply 196
Do we lose marks if we don't draw a wedge or dotted line to indicate the three dimensional structure when drawing shapes
Reply 197
Original post by jack97
ok thanks, so does that go the same for octahedral?

4 Bonding, 2 Lone = 6 Electron Pairs, can i say octahedral or square planar
6 bonding = octahedral.

So i only need to know the 4 main shapes? Linear, trigonal planar, tetra, octa

4 bonding 2 lone pairs would be square planar I should imagine. In the same way that 3 bonding 2 lone pairs is trigonal planar.
Someone help pls

I have an exam in the morning and it clashes with chemistry. So I'm doing chemistry in the afternoon, what happens when you're put in isolation? Are you allowed to revise during this period HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Original post by MP2205
Do we lose marks if we don't draw a wedge or dotted line to indicate the three dimensional structure when drawing shapes

I would recommend putting them in as they are on the mark schemes but it doesn't say if they are required or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending