The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by MMMMMMM
who wants to tell me equation/crap i need to know around "know that combustion of hydrocarbons containing sulfur leads to sulfur dioxide that causes air pollution and understand how sulfur dioxide can be removed from flue gases using calcium oxide"

Basically, in any complete combustion of a hydrocarbon, you always get water and carbon monoxide. ALWAYS.
So with a sulfur-containing hydrocarbon, oxygen reacts with the S to form sulfur dioxide.

Now, this sulfur dioxide is quite acidic, so it contributes acid rain. To neutralize it, you need a base, such as calcium oxide. They place calcium oxide in chimneys of some factories to remove the gas. That's pretty much it I think!
Good night everyone and eat a banana before your exam :smile:
Original post by y0sxmba
Hope i come out with an A....My maths exams dont look too well.....really wanted an A but im gonna end up with a B and retaking in yr 13....so all for the best :tongue:

A level maths is a massive step up in my opinion. I'm doing core 2 and 3 now as I done core 1 in year 11 if you want that A it will be really hard to get!
Original post by Yeezus
Basically, in any complete combustion of a hydrocarbon, you always get water and carbon monoxide. ALWAYS.
So with a sulfur-containing hydrocarbon, oxygen reacts with the S to form sulfur dioxide.

Now, this sulfur dioxide is quite acidic, so it contributes acid rain. To neutralize it, you need a base, such as calcium oxide. They place calcium oxide in chimneys of some factories to remove the gas. That's pretty much it I think!

wait complete produces carbon dioxide
incomplete - carbon monoxide
thank you for the second part :biggrin:
how do you work out the shape of a Cl3+ ion.
Original post by gonnagetthruthis

im so confused it doesn't have a shape its just one ion its like a ball that has lost 3 electrons.... right? how do you have a shape with no bonding pairs :frown: this forum is ruining me i need to go to bed

oh i get it now not Cl(3+) but (Cl3)+ um its Cl with two bonding pairs so Cl----Cl----Cl but theres two lone pairs so it becomes like water? maybe?
which is bent line/ V-shaped
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chriseagles11
To simplify things,

One car(carbon) is joined to 3 other cars(carbon). Each car has one person(hydrogen) in it.
4 cars, 4 people. 1:1ratio

Okay, thank you! definitely makes more sense now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeezus
Hey is there a simple way to figure out the number of isomers for a hydrocarbon? Trial and error never works for me, but I wasn't really taught a method oops

Any help massively appreciated

In terms of chain isomers the limit is down to a carbon chain of 3. So If its c6h14 you can have c6, c5 c4. Or c5h12 c5, c4, c3.

Positional depends on chain. so in c6h13Br you can have Br on 1 2 3. The 4th will be same as 3. So only 3 isomer. C4H9Br only 2.

Functional isomer, you can change alkene to alkane. so only 1 isomer
Good luck for the exam tomorrow everyone! Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeezus

Also after neutralisation Calcium sulphate is produced which can be used for plasterboard
How do you calculate enthalpy of a simple reaction? is it products-reactants or reactants-producs?

You'll have a centre atom with 6 electrons then 2 electrons are shared between the 2 Cl
So 4 free electrons = 2 lone pairs
So be bent shape with (109.5-2x2.5) = 104.5 degree bond angle

http://www.thegeoexchange.org/chemistry/bonding/Molecular-Geometry/index.html
Original post by shuchi1227
How do you calculate enthalpy of a simple reaction? is it products-reactants or reactants-producs?

that's unit 2 not unit 1, you don't have to worry about that just yet!
Original post by MMMMMMM
im so confused it doesn't have a shape its just one ion its like a ball that has lost 3 electrons.... right?

In cl3+ the central atom has 7 outer electrons, so it has 3 pair and a extra electron, which is bonded with 1 cl, but the third cl is cl+ so it has lost a electron, so needs to electrons to bond, it take on of the three pairs from the central atom. This means only to lone pairs.
It will be the same shape as water. 104.5 degrees
Hello there I quickly like to ask a question its on January 2013 q5bii I just don't gt the molar ratio part
Please help on q5bii January 2013
Original post by Yeezus

In complete combustion you get water and carbon dioxide.
In incomplete you get water and carbon/carbon monoxide.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kill3er
In complete combustion you get water and carbon dioxide.
In incomplete you get water and carbon/carbon monoxide.

Can you please answer my question please
Reply 398
Original post by MMMMMMM
im so confused it doesn't have a shape its just one ion its like a ball that has lost 3 electrons.... right? how do you have a shape with no bonding pairs :frown: this forum is ruining me i need to go to bed

oh i get it now not Cl(3+) but (Cl3)+ um its Cl with two bonding pairs so Cl----Cl----Cl but theres two lone pairs so it becomes like water? maybe?
which is bent line/ V-shaped

Think of it like this...

Cl3+.

You always must have one central, so take your first Cl to be the central. This is in group 7. You have 2 other species attached. 7+2.

=9. However you have a positive charge, take away one. =8.

8/2 = 4. Only 2 bonding pairs, leaving 2 lone pairs.
Reply 399

Read above post.

Latest

Trending

Trending