The Student Room Group

Lysosome formation...

Could somebody please clarify the steps in lysosome formation for me...So far I have got:
- DNA is found on chromosomes in the nucleus
- The DNA holds a specific code for the protein
- A copy of the the gene is made using MRNA
- MRNA comes out of the nucleus and goes to the ribosome (ribosomes are found on the rough endoplasmic reticulum)
-Ribosome then produces the protein, packages it up and sends it to the golgi
- Golgi modifies it, packages it up and releases it as a lysosome
-Lysosome can then digest food

If one of you brilliant scientific type people could either clarify this, expand on it or just make it sound more scientificy, I shall be forever indebted to you!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by jobsafish
Could somebody please clarify the steps in lysosome formation for me...So far I have got:
- DNA is found on chromosomes in the nucleus
- The DNA holds a specific code for the protein
- A copy of the the gene is made using MRNA
- MRNA comes out of the nucleus and goes to the ribosome (ribosomes are found on the rough endoplasmic reticulum)
-Ribosome then produces the protein, packages it up and sends it to the golgi
- Golgi modifies it, packages it up and releases it as a lysosome
-Lysosome can then digest food

If one of you brilliant scientific type people could either clarify this, expand on it or just make it sound more scientificy, I shall be forever indebted to you!

Thank you!

Lysosomes contain hydrolytic enzymes. These enzymes (what you refer to as proteins synthesized on RER by ribosomes) are formed in the rough endoplasmic reticulum and transported by transport vesicles to the golgi apparatus (GA). The GA then modifies these enzymes in the form membrane bound organelles called lysosomes (or fresh or primary lysosomes). They bud off from the trans end of the golgi. (If you don't know about cis and trans golgi, here is a simple explanation). These organelles are now called lysosomes.
All the steps that you mention before packaging of hydrolytic enzymes in golgi are common to the formation of proteins. For every protein, a DNA transcribed message in the form of mRNA is translated to proteins by ribosomes.

For more on lysosomes, watch this simple animation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending