The Student Room Group

Surface area and volume help!

Can someone help me solve the following questions. I don't want a straight forward answer if someone could talk me through how I would get the answer it would be much appreciated.
Original post by Super199
Can someone help me solve the following questions. I don't want a straight forward answer if someone could talk me through how I would get the answer it would be much appreciated.

1.Just find the surface areas of the cone and hemisphere in terms of r and h and equate them
2. Same approach but with volumes instead of surface areas
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by brianeverit
1.Just find the surface areas of the cone and hemisphere in terms of r and h and equate them
2. Same approach but with volumes instead of surface areas

Surface area of a cone is pi(r)(L) and I'm not given L so it is harder than that. I know to get L normally you have to use pythagoras but I don't know how it applies to this. Because you get the square root of (x^2+h^2). :/
Surface area of a cone is pi(r)(L) and I'm not given L so it is harder than that. I know to get L normally you have to use pythagoras but I don't know how it applies to this. Because you get the square root of (x^2+h^2). :/

That is correct but don't overlook the areas of the bases of the shapes.
Reply 4

So, why is that a problem

Your answer needs an expression that has both h and x in
Reply 5
That is correct but don't overlook the areas of the bases of the shapes.

Why - they are the same
Original post by TenOfThem
Why - they are the same

Of course. But why are you still having a problem?
Reply 7
Of course. But why are you still having a problem?

What problem?

Quick Reply

Latest