The Student Room Group

Engineering real world example question please help

The question is as follows...

A motor vehicle having a mass of 0.8 Tonnes is at rest on a incline of 1 in 8 (sine) when the brakes are released. The vehicle travels 30 m down the incline against a constant frictional resistance to motion of 80 N where it reaches the bottom of the slope.

a) Using the principle of conservation of energy, calculate the velocity of the vehicle at the bottom of the incline.
b) Using an alternative method that does not involve a consideration of energy, calculate the velocity of the vehicle at the bottom of the incline.
c) Discuss the merits of the two methods you have used in parts a) and b) of the question. Justify the use of an energy method for these types of problems.

I have done similar questions in class but am not sure which formula i need to use.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jit123

A motor vehicle having a mass of 0.8 Tonnes is at rest on a incline of 1 in 8 (sine) when the brakes are released. The vehicle travels 30 m down the incline against a constant frictional resistance to motion of 80 N where it reaches the bottom of the slope.

a) Using the principle of conservation of energy, calculate the velocity of the vehicle at the bottom of the incline.
b) Using an alternative method that does not involve a consideration of energy, calculate the velocity of the vehicle at the bottom of the incline.
c) Discuss the merits of the two methods you have used in parts a) and b) of the question. Justify the use of an energy method for these types of problems.

Can i have full working out please so I can understand it fully.

Welcome to TSR

Unfortunately we are not allowed to give a full worked answer to your question.

We expect you to show that you have attempted it, what it is you don't understand, and where you are stuck.
Here are the posting guidelines.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Study_Help_Guidelines#getting_responses
Original post by jit123

Can i have full working out please so I can understand it fully.

Hi and welcome to TRS.:smile:

You are new so you may not know that Study Forum guidelines do not allow posting full solutions.

Your questions will be answered, but you have to do the work with guidance from others answering this thread.

So to get things going and so that we know where exactly you are having difficulty, can you please post your working so far and state wher you are stuck?

Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by Stonebridge
Welcome to TSR

Unfortunately we are not allowed to give a full worked answer to your question.

We expect you to show that you have attempted it, what it is you don't understand, and where you are stuck.
Here are the posting guidelines.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Study_Help_Guidelines#getting_responses

I have attempted the question in my own time however posting my mistakes and pictures of pages and pages of what I did wrong is impractical. But I did attempt it.
We are not asking you to post pages of working.
The question says using conservation of energy.
You are asked to find a velocity after an object has run down a slope.
What expressions do you know that relate to velocity and energy, and height up or down a slope and energy. Surely you know these and have some idea how they might be used?
Reply 5
Original post by Stonebridge
We are not asking you to post pages of working.
The question says using conservation of energy.
You are asked to find a velocity after an object has run down a slope.
What expressions do you know that relate to velocity and energy, and height up or down a slope and energy. Surely you know these and have some idea how they might be used?

Forget it I don't have time for all this. Back to yahoo answers.
Original post by jit123
Forget it I don't have time for all this. Back to yahoo answers.

Thank you for visiting TSR. Have a nice day.:smile:
Reply 7
Cool Story.

Quick Reply

Latest