The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering or Mechanical engineering

Hi
I am struggling on whether to choose Aerospace or Mechanical engineering at UOB

I would love to work with aircraft and rockets but I have found out you can still be a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree.Also mechanical is much broader than Aerospace.

what if I don’t like learning about the theory behind aircraft when going into aerospace?
I’ve also heard studying aerospace at UOB is not very good
In addition when someone is studying aerospace would they be able to find work like someone studying mechanical engineering?
However I see myself as wanting to work as a aerospace engineer and designing aircraft.

Also let’s say with a mechanical engineering degree you get into aerospace would you be doing the same tasks that a aerospace engineer does or different?

I am so stuck and I really need help to decide which course is the right decision
Please help
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous 232
Hi
I am struggling on whether to choose Aerospace or Mechanical engineering at UOB

I would love to work with aircraft and rockets but I have found out you can still be a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree.Also mechanical is much broader than Aerospace.

what if I don’t like learning about the theory behind aircraft when going into aerospace?
I’ve also heard studying aerospace at UOB is not very good and it is not accredited
In addition when someone is studying aerospace would they be able to find work like someone studying mechanical engineering?

However I see myself as wanting to work as a aerospace engineer and designing aircraft.

Also let’s say with a mechanical engineering degree you get into aerospace would you be doing the same tasks that a aerospace engineer does or different?

I am so stuck and I really need help to decide which course is the right decision
Please help

Very simple.

Do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and pick modules/projects that cater to aerospace to give you a little taste. If you find you are really passionate about aerospace then you can do an MSc in Aerospace Engineering afterwards.

You can work in Aerospace with a Mechanical engineering degree due to its broad nature (and a whole host of other industries). With Aerospace it can get a little bit tricky if you want to change industries altogether (not impossible by any means but it will be a bit of a hassle).

With regards to your question about doing the same job as an aerospace engineer as a mechanical engineer, of course you can. There are plenty of mechanicals working in aerospace design. A friend of mine went into a company that designs helicopters.
(edited 4 years ago)
With regards to choosing Mechanical engineering Bsc for university of Birmingham the modules are all core so there are no optional modules that you can choose from.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it 😄
Original post by trapking
Very simple.

Do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and pick modules/projects that cater to aerospace to give you a little taste. If you find you are really passionate about aerospace then you can do an MSc in Aerospace Engineering afterwards.

You can work in Aerospace with a Mechanical engineering degree due to its broad nature (and a whole host of other industries). With Aerospace it can get a little bit tricky if you want to change industries altogether (not impossible by any means but it will be a bit of a hassle).

With regards to your question about doing the same job as an aerospace engineer as a mechanical engineer, of course you can. There are plenty of mechanicals working in aerospace design. A friend of mine went into a company that designs

Even if choosing aerospace engineering would you say it still has good job prospects like can you work on cars or do what exactly a mechanical engineer does?
(edited 4 years ago)
Even if choosing aerospace engineering would you say it still has good job prospects like can you work on cars or do what exactly a mechanical engineer does?

Its tricky and it gets harder to enter some other industries because you'll be competing with people that have degrees more aligned to those jobs hence I would say avoid those problems early on and just do Mech Eng BEng. If you then decide you still love aerospace and want to go deeper then you can go study an MSc in Aerospace and have the best of both worlds.
With regards to choosing Mechanical engineering Bsc for university of Birmingham the modules are all core so there are no optional modules that you can choose from.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it 😄

Yes but you will still learn systems engineering and fluid dynamics which are core topics in aerospace engineering.

The only difference is you won't delve into them as deeply as the aeros do. They typically have additional courses like avionics and more advanced fluid dynamics (CFD/Satellites etc.).
Yes but you will still learn systems engineering and fluid dynamics which are core topics in aerospace engineering.

The only difference is you won't delve into them as deeply as the aeros do. They typically have additional courses like avionics and more advanced fluid dynamics (CFD/Satellites etc.).

How much maths is there in a mechanical engineering degree?
I like maths lol
How much maths is there in a mechanical engineering degree?
I like maths lol

If you just want to learn hardcore maths (theoretical/abstract + pure) then engineering is probably not for you. The maths you will learn in engineering is more for use in applied physics problems.

For example you will learn about complex numbers which you will end up using in your electrical & electronic modules etc.
I really want to work on aircraft
Would you still say go for a mechanical engineering degree even if I really want to work on aircraft?

I gave you the answer to this already.

Best of luck :smile:
I gave you the answer to this already.

Best of luck :smile:

Thank you for helping!! 😁😄
Very simple.

With regards to your question about doing the same job as an aerospace engineer as a mechanical engineer, of course, you can. There are plenty of mechanicals working in aerospace design. A friend of mine went into a company that designs helicopters.

I want to work in this field myself. I would like to try to enter the relevant educational institution. I know many companies like https://www.aerospheres.com/that cooperate with aviation companies and supply various materials for aircraft construction, in my opinion, such cooperation is quite profitable
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest