The Student Room Group

Applying to chemistry without physics?

Hello! I'm in year 12, and I'm studying for my AS levels - biology, chemistry, maths and geography (I'm planning to drop geography for A2). When I chose my A-levels I wanted to do medicine, so naturally I picked biology + chemistry, another STEM subject and a contrasting humanity. However, since starting A-levels I've decided that, even though everyone tells me I should go for it, medicine isn't right for me at all - I'm actually a lot more interested in physical chemistry.
And therein lies my problem: as I understand it, on your personal statement for UCAS you talk about your interests within your subject, and mine are mainly to do with the physics-y side of things. I am willing to teach myself the relevant bits of physics, but the point stands: I'm not doing a physics A-level, and I'm worried this is going to confuse things. I've also heard that your module options are limited without having taken A-level physics - will my lack of physics impede on what I can and can't study within the chemistry course itself? Will not offering physics reduce my chances of getting on a chemistry course, especially given my physics-y leanings? What do I say on my personal statement?
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiecat
Hello!

It really shouldn't be a problem. The most important thing for doing well at physical chemistry is having a solid understanding of maths; the relevant physics you learn at A level can be picked up very quickly. The best physical chemist I know did not take physics at A level (neither AS nor A2). Just find some aspect of physical chemistry you find interesting, read a bit more about it and write about that on your personal statement.

Which applied modules are you taking for maths?
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
It really shouldn't be a problem. The most important thing for doing well at physical chemistry is having a solid understanding of maths; the relevant physics you learn at A level can be picked up very quickly. The best physical chemist I know did not take physics at A level (neither AS nor A2). Just find some aspect of physical chemistry you find interesting, read a bit more about it and write about that on your personal statement.

Statistics :/
Reply 3
Hello! I'm in year 12, and I'm studying for my AS levels - biology, chemistry, maths and geography (I'm planning to drop geography for A2). When I chose my A-levels I wanted to do medicine, so naturally I picked biology + chemistry, another STEM subject and a contrasting humanity. However, since starting A-levels I've decided that, even though everyone tells me I should go for it, medicine isn't right for me at all - I'm actually a lot more interested in physical chemistry.
And therein lies my problem: as I understand it, on your personal statement for UCAS you talk about your interests within your subject, and mine are mainly to do with the physics-y side of things. I am willing to teach myself the relevant bits of physics, but the point stands: I'm not doing a physics A-level, and I'm worried this is going to confuse things. I've also heard that your module options are limited without having taken A-level physics - will my lack of physics impede on what I can and can't study within the chemistry course itself? Will not offering physics reduce my chances of getting on a chemistry course, especially given my physics-y leanings? What do I say on my personal statement?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I haven't done Physics A Level either and currently have four offers from some great unis for Chemistry! I also have an interview at Oxford next week! :eek:
Applying without Physics really doesn't matter that much as most unis give you crash courses in it in First year because they recognise that lots of applicants haven't done A Level Physics. :smile:

Original post by BJack

Do you think it's better to take Mechanics modules? I've taken S1, D1 and M1, and have the choice of doing S2 or M2 this year. M2 looks so hard and I struggle with parts of M1, but S2 looks so boring, I don't know which to choose!

Also, just out of interest, what Oxford college are you at? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lizz-ie
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I haven't done Physics A Level either and currently have four offers from some great unis for Chemistry! I also have an interview at Oxford next week! :eek:
Applying without Physics really doesn't matter that much as most unis give you crash courses in it in First year because they recognise that lots of applicants haven't done A Level Physics. :smile:

Do you think it's better to take Mechanics modules? I've taken S1, D1 and M1, and have the choice of doing S2 or M2 this year. M2 looks so hard and I struggle with parts of M1, but S2 looks so boring, I don't know which to choose!

S2 is easier than M2. M2 isn't that hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Statistics :/

Original post by lizz-ie

Mechanics modules are more relevant but it's like you said universities are aware that lots of their incoming students won't have physics, so they will teach the important bits after you arrive.

Magdalen.
Reply 6
Original post by BJack

Original post by lizz-ie

Okay, great, thanks for the reassurance :smile: The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is that my module options within the course will be limited...

Original post by lizz-ie

Ooh, well done! :biggrin: And best of luck with the Oxford interview! Out of curiosity, what A levels did you take?
Reply 7
Original post by BJack
Mechanics modules are more relevant but it's like you said universities are aware that lots of their incoming students won't have physics, so they will teach the important bits after you arrive.

My sixth form automatically puts you in stats if you take biology, and mechanics if you take physics, so I didn't really have much of a choice in the matter! But yes, hopefully the first semester will bring me up to speed with all the relevant physics-y bits. Thanks!
Reply 8
Ooh, well done! :biggrin: And best of luck with the Oxford interview! Out of curiosity, what A levels did you take?

Thank you! Biology Chemistry and Maths, and Further Maths AS Level :smile:

My sixth form automatically puts you in stats if you take biology, and mechanics if you take physics, so I didn't really have much of a choice in the matter! But yes, hopefully the first semester will bring me up to speed with all the relevant physics-y bits. Thanks!

Can you not ask to do M1 instead of S2? S2 is meant as an A2 module, whereas M1 is an AS module so should in theory be easier!
Reply 9
Original post by lizz-ie
Thank you! Biology Chemistry and Maths, and Further Maths AS Level :smile:

Aha, similar to mine :P

Original post by lizz-ie

Can you not ask to do M1 instead of S2? S2 is meant as an A2 module, whereas M1 is an AS module so should in theory be easier!

Wow, thanks - I had no idea you could do that! That's definitely something I'll look into...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending