The Student Room Group

Engineering without a level maths/physics

Was wondering is it possible to do an engineering course without a level maths or physics. Looking through older posts from the forum it doesn't seem possible however looking at UCAS, some universities I'm looking at going to (not Russel group) do accept courses which are not maths or physics based. Is it possible? I dont think mechanical engineering would be because I've heard it is VERY heavily maths and physics based but what about civil?
Reply 1
What qualifications will you have? I suspect that any university that lets you in without Maths would not be very desirable.
I think some colleges do BTEC Engineering
civil is also maths and physics based unfortunately but there is a bio medical engineering course i think you only need chemistry and bio
Original post by general123
Was wondering is it possible to do an engineering course without a level maths or physics. Looking through older posts from the forum it doesn't seem possible however looking at UCAS, some universities I'm looking at going to (not Russel group) do accept courses which are not maths or physics based. Is it possible? I dont think mechanical engineering would be because I've heard it is VERY heavily maths and physics based but what about civil?

You could always do an engineering degree with an integrated foundation year, they are designed for people who want to do engineering but don't have the correct qualifications.
Reply 5
Original post by the one 123
civil is also maths and physics based unfortunately but there is a bio medical engineering course i think you only need chemistry and bio

UCL is different. They want Maths and Physics, no mention of Biology and Chemistry.
Is it possible? Yeah, there's loads of second rate universities that will let you in without A Level Maths/Physics even when they say that they need those as requirements. Just apply, give them a call on UCAS clearing day, and as long as you meet their tariff points, they'll let you in, cuz they'll happily take money from an incapable student in place of not having a student to extort at all.

Is it a good idea? No way, Engineering is a tough degree to do, very theoretical, most of the time completely unrelated to what you'll be expected to do in a workplace setting. A lot of advanced physics is involved, mathematics is the language of advanced physics, so you definitely need a strong foundation in mathematics and physics (This means you do A Level Maths and Physics, or IB or PreU or something very similar to that, not BTEC Engineering). Doing a proper engineering course without A Level Physics is possible if you think you can pick it up quickly, but without A Level Maths, it's going to be torture to say the least, and a waste of your money to be frank.

So if you're doing this to become an engineer, then you should re-evaluate your options and actually assess if you're capable of keeping up with such a career, if you think that engineering can happen without a good understanding of maths and physics.
Original post by general123

Have you looked into foundation courses? I'm not aware of any mechanical engineering degrees that will let you in without A-level maths or equivalent; however some will let you in without physics.

If you are interested in civil engineering, I believe UCL does not require either maths or physics for entry:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-civil-beng/
Hi
Original post by Computer Geek
Is it possible? Yeah, there's loads of second rate universities that will let you in without A Level Maths/Physics even when they say that they need those as requirements. Just apply, give them a call on UCAS clearing day, and as long as you meet their tariff points, they'll let you in, cuz they'll happily take money from an incapable student in place of not having a student to extort at all.

Is it a good idea? No way, Engineering is a tough degree to do, very theoretical, most of the time completely unrelated to what you'll be expected to do in a workplace setting. A lot of advanced physics is involved, mathematics is the language of advanced physics, so you definitely need a strong foundation in mathematics and physics (This means you do A Level Maths and Physics, or IB or PreU or something very similar to that, not BTEC Engineering). Doing a proper engineering course without A Level Physics is possible if you think you can pick it up quickly, but without A Level Maths, it's going to be torture to say the least, and a waste of your money to be frank.

So if you're doing this to become an engineer, then you should re-evaluate your options and actually assess if you're capable of keeping up with such a career, if you think that engineering can happen without a good understanding of maths and physics.

thank you for telling the truth that nobody wants to hear
Hi there,

Every university is different, however, majority require maths for their engineering courses. Civil engineering as well involves a lot of calculation so I would recommend maths for such and a lot will require it.

Some disciplines will be more flexible on the physics. While it is recommended for some engineerings (e.g., mechanical and civil) it is not necessarily required.

I would recommend looking at the requirements of the universities you are interested in but i strongly recommend taking at least mathematics if it is possible.

hope this helped,

- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest