The Student Room Group

moles and balanced equation homework (AS)

I did some homework, but the tutor didn't look it. It was mainly the moles/concentration/volume bit I wasn't sure on, so I thought I'd ask here to see if I got it right or not. Also, may as well throw in my balanced equation. Did I get the state symbols right too?

=======================

Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction between sodium carbonate and hydrochloric acids. Show the state symbols.

Na2CO3(aq) + 2HCl(aq) -> 2NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

What threw me off was whether to include water with the reactants, since sodium carbonate is mixed with distilled water first.

======================

The moles bit, at first I think I overcomplicated it by trying to work out a concentration within a concentration, so then I redid it in a simpler, more exam-y method with the old belief that if the working out is complicated, I'm doing it wrong. So:

Calculate the moles of 23.8cm^3 sodium carbonate at concentration 0.15mol/dm^3

moles (n) = concentration (c) x volume (v) = 0.15 x (23.8/1000) = 0.850mol (to 3 S.F.)

Using this calculation and your balanced equation, calculate the number of moles of hydrochloric acid that were required to neutralize the sodium carbonate solution.

Ratio of Na2CO3 to HCL is 1:2, so moles of hydrochloric acid = 0.850 x 2 = 1.7mol

Based on this, calculate the concentration of the 25cm^3 of hydrochloric acid solution in mol/dm^3.

c = n/v = 1.7/(25/1000) = 68mol/dm^3

===============

Did I do good?
Reply 1
Original post by ozzyoscy
xYour balanced symbol equation is fine. The water that the HCl and sodium carbonate are dissolved in don't need to be included in the equation it's not reacting, after all.

You've taken the right approach for the moles calculation, but your answer is completely wrong. I don't know what you've done. Try recalculating it and see if you get the same answer. You might have realized something was up when you got such a high value for the concentration of the HCl. You know the ratio is 1:2 and you've got about the same volume of HCl solution as sodium carbonate solution, so your final answer should be somewhere around 0.3 M.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
You've taken the right approach for the moles calculation, but your answer is completely wrong. I don't know what you've done. Try recalculating it and see if you get the same answer. You might have realized something was up when you got such a high value for the concentration of the HCl. You know the ratio is 1:2 and you've got about the same volume of HCl solution as sodium carbonate solution, so your final answer should be somewhere around 0.3 M.

I'm stumped.
Reply 3
Original post by ozzyoscy
0.15 x (23.8/1000) = 0.850mol

Just check the math. Everything on the left side is OK, but

0.1523.810000.15 \frac {23.8}{1000}

is not 0.850. No way.
Reply 4
Original post by Borek
Just check the math. Everything on the left side is OK, but

0.1523.810000.15 \frac {23.8}{1000}

is not 0.850. No way.

I don't know where I got 0.85 came from.

So 0.1523.810000.15 \frac {23.8}{1000} = 3.57 x 10^-3

3.57 x 10^-3 x 2 = 7.14 x 10^-3

7.14 x 10^-3/(25/1000) = 0.286 to 3 S.F.
Reply 5
OK

Quick Reply

Latest