The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It shouldn't break them, but if you do it regularly it may blunt them.
It might break the blender pot though if it's plastic.
Reply 3
mmmm maybe,
maybe you could try just adding one piece and seeing how it goes??
FireDeuce
Would putting ice cubes in my blender break the blades?
I ask because I want to make a frescato type thing but dont really feel like having to buy a new blender. They do it fine in costa but maybe they have bettrer blades?

You'll find most blender manufacturers have access to the same materials for their blades :rolleyes:

It won't break your blender blades so long as you mean ice cubes, not rocks, and the blades are not made of play-dough.
Dont the make smoothies that way in the shops?
Reply 6
I cracked the blender doing that the other day, it's not broken though, just a hairline crack. To make smoothies i now put the ice cubes in a bag, get all the air out and smack it about a bit, use your imagination :smile:
Reply 7
used to work at costa, and now i work somewhere with a similar, actually an identical blender and they are both rather similar to the one i have at home. it'll probably help if you put some liquid in with the ice cubes tho ?
Reply 8
Yeah, either bash them up a bit first or put some liquid in. If your blender's manual says you can crush ice then fine, but if not, be a bit careful.
You could always crush the ice a little before you put it in, just to be on the safe side.
Reply 10
Pulse it, and see how it goes. I doubt one pulse will destroy the blender, but you can gauge how successful it'll be. Expect it to be loud though!
Do you have a Mr Frosty in the loft anywhere? That powders ice.
Reply 11
OMG Mr Frosty!!!!!
Reply 12
Ice in a blender is fine.
Reply 13
Yeah, I used to do it in my blender all the time to make smoothies, though you are less likely to do any damage if you put in your chopped up fruit/juice with it as well. Not sure why.
Reply 14
it shouldn't break them but some blenders struggle or can't cope with them.....a special smoothy processor thing is apparently what you need, although probably not the cheapest in the range.

I say your food processor will probably be alright, but don't quote me on that if the whole thing goes wrong!

Latest