The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

should I choose Aberdeen?

Would you recommend going to University of Aberdeen? Can you say something about your experiences and maybe some pros and cons?
Reply 1
Original post by sophia95
Would you recommend going to University of Aberdeen? Can you say something about your experiences and maybe some pros and cons?

Sorry you haven't had an answer yet, as there aren't many current Aberdeen students on the forums I'm afraid :sadnod: Have you checked out the student guide? It might be a bit outdated but at least it's something! :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2

I'd highly recommend it! I'm in my final year and will graduate in July.

Pros:

Compact city, plenty to do

University campus has lots of amenities and a nice "feel"

Workload has been really good (for me!)

Lots of societies and sports to choose from

Great night-life

Great job prospects in Aberdeen

Cons:

Expensive property and transport (bus)

University accommodation is mediocre (but has improved drastically since I started)

Aberdeen is far from other major populations (Edinburgh - around 2.5 hours by train)

Any other questions just ask!
Reply 3
Original post by AdamHutchy
I'd highly recommend it! I'm in my final year and will graduate in July.

Pros:

Compact city, plenty to do

University campus has lots of amenities and a nice "feel"

Workload has been really good (for me!)

Lots of societies and sports to choose from

Great night-life

Great job prospects in Aberdeen

Cons:

Expensive property and transport (bus)

University accommodation is mediocre (but has improved drastically since I started)

Aberdeen is far from other major populations (Edinburgh - around 2.5 hours by train)

Any other questions just ask!

Coming from Glasgow (which I adore with all my heart), do you think I'll enjoy aberdeen? I hear people from Aberdeen are very reserved, a definite contrast from my home city!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You will enjoy Aberdeen, is a great city for uni students. yes, some people are reserved but, most of the students are open and friendly, you will find people like you. There are more than 100 clubs at the uni student association, so definitely you will find people with the same interest. Also there are students from all Europe, specially Germans.
Reply 5
Original post by marii7
Coming from Glasgow (which I adore with all my heart), do you think I'll enjoy aberdeen? I hear people from Aberdeen are very reserved, a definite contrast from my home city!

I personally had a very good experience in Aberdeen. It is certainly a very different city from Glasgow. Glasgow is much larger, much busier, and is less centred on the student population.

Aberdeen has two Universities, which comprises a pretty large chunk of the city. The good thing is that if you're at the Uni, you're never far from where your friends stay. It's worth noting as well that the University is internationally well regarded and that quality of teaching has generally been on the rise last 10 years or so (and continues to do so).

Saying people from there are "very reserved" is a bit of a massive generalisation, and not necessarily true. And anyway it doesn't matter, since you're basically going to live in the little bubble of student life anyway, so you're more likely to talk to someone from Finland than Footdee, likely as not.

It's good. I like it. Fond memories. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Enriqueva
Also there are students from all Europe, specially Germans.

What to you mean by specially Germans? Are there so many Germans? I'm from Germany myself and it'd be nice to know :smile:
Reply 7
Hey, guys, could you perhaps help me out?
I'm an EU citizen outside if the UK, but I really want to get into a Scottish university and I'm applying for Law and International Relations/Politics and only the following universities offer that: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde. I hear that Scottish universities are more prone to accepting fee-paying students, but since I am not, would that hinder my chances? I'm in the IB program, btw. Could you guys suggest which universities are the likeliest and the least likeliest to accept someone like me? My number one choices are Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the rest I want to apply just to make sure I get in, so I also need to know which universities I'm pretty much guaranteed to get into. Thanks, guys, this website is really useful! ^^

It depends on whether or not you've got other options. If you've got an offer from a university of similar standing/rankings then no, to be honest. Academically Aberdeen is fine and can't complain about the social side but the biggest drawback (and it really is a big one) is how ridiculously expensive the city is. Accommodation is very hard to come by and, if you do get it, very expensive. Private accommodation is not as freely available as it is in say Glasgow or Edinburgh (unemployment here is very low and thus demand for accommodation outstrips supply) and consequently you get a lot more students (not just freshers) wanting to live in the halls - and the university has nowhere near enough rooms in existing accommodation. If you are lucky enough to get a place in halls (and even as a 1st year fresher you're not guaranteed it, despite lies to the contrary from the University) you will be paying a level of rent which could easily get you a pretty decent flat in somewhere like Glasgow. I'm currently paying about £600 pm for a single ensuite room in halls which is what I used to pay for a large two bedroom flat in Glasgow's West End.

I was intending to do an Erasmus year abroad anyway but even if I hadn't previously been planning to I'd probably have ended up going for it just to spend a year away from Aberdeen and consequently saving several thousand pounds.

Anyway to answer your question again - no, it's not worth coming to Aberdeen if you have offers from other universities which are of comparable quality to it.
Original post by Emilia9
Hey, guys, could you perhaps help me out?
I'm an EU citizen outside if the UK, but I really want to get into a Scottish university and I'm applying for Law and International Relations/Politics and only the following universities offer that: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde. I hear that Scottish universities are more prone to accepting fee-paying students, but since I am not, would that hinder my chances? I'm in the IB program, btw. Could you guys suggest which universities are the likeliest and the least likeliest to accept someone like me? My number one choices are Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the rest I want to apply just to make sure I get in, so I also need to know which universities I'm pretty much guaranteed to get into. Thanks, guys, this website is really useful! ^^

Officially fee paying students get no preferential treatment - whether or not that's true I don't know. Either way as an EU student your application would be assessed in the same way as those from Scottish students so I wouldn't worry about it. As for which universities you are pretty much guaranteed to get into - that obviously depends on your grades! Edinburgh, St. Andrews and (for many courses) Glasgow you would need more or less straight As to be 'guaranteed' a place. Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Stirling you could get in with mostly Bs and the odd A/C. The other unis (Caley, Napier etc) have quite low entry requirements.
Reply 10
Original post by an Siarach
Officially fee paying students get no preferential treatment - whether or not that's true I don't know. Either way as an EU student your application would be assessed in the same way as those from Scottish students so I wouldn't worry about it. As for which universities you are pretty much guaranteed to get into - that obviously depends on your grades! Edinburgh, St. Andrews and (for many courses) Glasgow you would need more or less straight As to be 'guaranteed' a place. Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Stirling you could get in with mostly Bs and the odd A/C. The other unis (Caley, Napier etc) have quite low entry requirements.

Thanks! :smile:
I have got a condition offer from Aberdeen and Birmingham for my Masters! The course I have gotten into are for Molecular Biology...
Would you still recommend Aberdeen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending