The Student Room Group

U Edinburgh LLb vs U Aberdeen LLb

Wondering what people know about U Aberdeen's reputation at the end of the law course? I really liked the Aberdeen campus when I visited last year. An important factor is student support. I have ADHD and Autism and so would need to have approachable profs, notes before the class and good learning accommodations. Does anyone have experience with these accommodations/supports at either university?This needs to be weighed against the reputation of the university with U Edinburgh having a stronger name. Which would be best if I remain in Scotland vs moving elsewhere such as Canada in terms of reputation and employability? I am not concerned with Edinburgh only teaching Scots Law as I will do additional courses if necessary.This also being said, maybe it is somewhat easier to get better grades at Aberdeen?Finally, I am introverted and think that the small campus at Aberdeen may allow me to meet people more easily?Any opinions?Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ScotlandLaw
Wondering what people know about U Aberdeen's reputation at the end of the law course? I really liked the Aberdeen campus when I visited last year. An important factor is student support. I have ADHD and Autism and so would need to have approachable profs, notes before the class and good learning accommodations. Does anyone have experience with these accommodations/supports at either university?This needs to be weighed against the reputation of the university with U Edinburgh having a stronger name. Which would be best if I remain in Scotland vs moving elsewhere such as Canada in terms of reputation and employability? I am not concerned with Edinburgh only teaching Scots Law as I will do additional courses if necessary.This also being said, maybe it is somewhat easier to get better grades at Aberdeen?Finally, I am introverted and think that the small campus at Aberdeen may allow me to meet people more easily?Any opinions?Thanks

Hey!!

Congrats on your offers!

Aberdeen imo has the third best reputation in Scotland for law (after Edinburgh and Glasgow) but like you said Edinburgh is definitely seen as more prestigious. If you were to remain in Scotland I’m sure it wouldn’t be too much of an issue if you chose Aberdeen over Edinburgh but if you were looking to move abroad such as Canada, Edinburgh would definitely be more helpful in that regard as a very strong global name which Aberdeen really isn’t.

Obviously it’s not just about prestige and I would think Aberdeen would be better for student support - Edinburgh is notoriously a little hit and miss with support, I can’t speak for Aberdeen. accommodation can also be a little bit of a nightmare for Edinburgh. Edinburgh would be able to provide extra support tho if you email beforehand explaining your ADHD and autism with copies of the reports/diagnoses etc they would provide with you the extra support you need - you are entitled to it and they would have to accommodate you.

As for being introverted, if a smaller campus suits you better then maybe go for that. I know a couple of people who were introverted and they thought that a smaller uni would be a better choice but realised going to a bigger city was actually more helpful in that aspect. Smaller unis can become very cliquey and gossipy, bumping into the same sorts of people whilst a city uni allows you to arrange your time however you wish and mix when you choose. It’s all down to personal choice tho. Maybe you would prefer the more intimate student life at Aberdeen as you dont have to make as much effort to make friends although Edinburgh it really depends. Some people make their best friends in their shared flats and don’t have to go out of their way at all.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending