The Student Room Group

Hydrocarbon combustion.

When hydrocarbons undergo combustion inside cars, why can SO2 be produced? I know oxides of nitrogen are produced through the molecules in the air reacting, but isn't the concentration of sulfur in the air too low for this to happen?
Sulfur is found in crude oil, and all other fossil fuels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most hydrocarbons naturally contain some sulphur compounds, therefore during combustion when the fuel burns, the sulphur is oxidised to sulphur dioxide.
I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaNick
The key word here is 'impurities'. Yes, they do contain sulfur, but they should be referred to as impurities in the exam.

Original post by Picture~Perfect
Most hydrocarbons naturally contain some sulphur compounds, therefore during combustion when the fuel burns, the sulphur is oxidised to sulphur dioxide.
I hope that helps :smile:

Original post by majmuh24
Sulfur is found in crude oil, and all other fossil fuels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou! :smile:
The key word here is 'impurities'. Yes, they do contain sulfur, but they should be referred to as impurities in the exam.

Why?
because the examiner will obviously get confused into thinking that you are trying to say that hydrocarbons have sulfur deliberately added or something
Ah right, fair enough, although IMO it should be fairly obvious from the point you are making.

Quick Reply

Latest