The Student Room Group

Help!?

Hey guys,

Could anyone help with this problem?

Find the total (vector) reaction force provided by the lumbosacral disc when the person bends over from the waist at 30 to the vertical, if the muscles in the back act on the spine at 10 and can be considered to act at the centre of the spine. You can assume that the person is holding the object in his hands, which are at the ends of his arms that are hanging vertically from his shoulders.

Other necessary info:
A person has an upper body mass of 27 kg, a height from the waist upwards (i.e. to the top of the head) of 62 cm and a separation between waist and shoulder of 41 cm. He is holding a 10 kg load.

I've figured it has to do with moments? But the 10 degrees really throws me... any help with the problem itself or approach would be most appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by happydays11
Hey guys,

Could anyone help with this problem?

Find the total (vector) reaction force provided by the lumbosacral disc when the person bends over from the waist at 30 to the vertical, if the muscles in the back act on the spine at 10 and can be considered to act at the centre of the spine. You can assume that the person is holding the object in his hands, which are at the ends of his arms that are hanging vertically from his shoulders.

Other necessary info:
A person has an upper body mass of 27 kg, a height from the waist upwards (i.e. to the top of the head) of 62 cm and a separation between waist and shoulder of 41 cm. He is holding a 10 kg load.

I've figured it has to do with moments? But the 10 degrees really throws me... any help with the problem itself or approach would be most appreciated!

I'm sot much of an anatomist...

I guess the spine is the boom of this crane and the back muscles are the arrowed cables, except that they're attached at the spine's mid point (marked with a dot)crawler crane.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest