The Student Room Group

Gypsies On Benefits & Proud.

Did anyone else watch this? Im watching now on catch-up and I'm actually gobsmacked that people can come into this country and claim benefits so easily!

If a parent lives in Britain but their child lives in another country say Romania they can still claim child benefit and then send it over to their child.

One man wants to build a house in Romania for his family so he's come over to the U.K to claim benefits to send over to his family to build this house he wants.

They also get free healthcare.

These people have paid absolutely nothing into the system and just take out of it to send back to their families. How is this even allowed to happen, how is that even legal!?!

I have no problem with immigrants or gypsies or Romanians who come to this country and actually contribute but it makes me angry watching programmes like this :mad:

Am I alone in my anger? :redface:
Reply 1
So what?
You are a laughing stock, paying into the system...
where do you think this money goes?
.. mostly to wars, weapons etc.
You are one of those bishes that try to blame others for your misfortune,
.. system is corrupt, the people you send proudly money to, to "contribute"..
are corrupt, just don't expect life to be lovey dovey, it's not.
The sooner you realise, the better for your sanity.
Reply 2
Original post by Reeeeyah
Did anyone else watch this? Im watching now on catch-up and I'm actually gobsmacked that people can come into this country and claim benefits so easily!

If a parent lives in Britain but their child lives in another country say Romania they can still claim child benefit and then send it over to their child.

One man wants to build a house in Romania for his family so he's come over to the U.K to claim benefits to send over to his family to build this house he wants.

These people have paid absolutely nothing into the system and just take out of it to send back to their families. How is this even allowed to happen, how is that even legal!?!

I have no problem with immigrants or gypsies or Romanians who come to this country and actually contribute but it makes me angry watching programmes like this :mad:

i am more angry that people who are not doing this (sucking benefit) and actually contribute gets the bad name as well and are discriminated against
Reply 3
Original post by hihoho
So what?
You are a laughing stock, paying into the system...
where do you think this money goes?
.. mostly to wars, weapons etc.
You are one of those bishes that try to blame others for your misfortune,
.. system is corrupt, the people you send proudly money to, to "contribute"..
are corrupt, just don't expect life to be lovey dovey, it's not.
The sooner you realise, the better for your sanity.

So you don't pay into the system? Do you not work or when you do work wont you? *confused*

When did I blame anyone for my misfortune? Confused again.

People coming here to make a better life for themselves is good, but people coming here to scrounge benefits is completely wrong.

I think as a taxpayer myself I am entilted to an opinion on where my taxes go. In my opinion I don't want my taxes going to someone who moves over here just for what they can claim in benefits.
Reply 4
So you don't pay into the system? Do you not work or when you do work wont you? *confused*

When did I blame anyone for my misfortune? Confused again.

People coming here to make a better life for themselves is good, but people coming here to scrounge benefits is completely wrong.

I think as a taxpayer myself I am entilted to an opinion on where my taxes go. In my opinion I don't want my taxes going to someone who moves over here just for what they can claim in benefits.

No.. your opinion on where your taxes go doesn't matter.
Because.. well, they won't get there..
they will go where politicians and lawmakers deem it necessary.

It's not really a contribution, if you are forced to do it.
Why is it wrong? Are you the moral police?
Reply 5
I'd rather my taxes were spent keeping Romanians out of poverty than killing Iraqis.
It's laughable really that it is allowed to happen.
Reply 8

polandball comis never fail to amuse me
Reply 9
Original post by GnomeMage
polandball comis never fail to amuse me

I know right, recently fell in love with these
Reply 10
Original post by dawgnut
I know right, recently fell in love with these

here
Reply 11
It made me laugh more than get me angry compared to the reactions on Facebook.

The dude at the start "She's going to give me money, yeah" Loved how he added on yeah at the end of his sentences.

It was abit poorly made to be honest, typical Channel 5 production values of just trashing them but maybe some truths to it but was designed to be light-hearted, soft look into than anything serious.
Reply 12
Meanwhile my Dad who worked for the council for over 30years and paid all his taxes has had all his benefits cut or taken away dispite him being officially assessed several times as never able to work again. gj goverment.
(edited 10 years ago)
in my opinion if you come to this country you shouldn't get benefits (social housing, job seekers allowance, etc) - if you can't afford to live here, don't come here :hand:.

in my opinion there should be a few "requirements" for an immigration application:
1) no criminal record
2) no history of being ill often (so as to save the NHS money)
3) qualifications for specific industries that aren't over-employing
4) a deposit of £30,000 (which is kept if you break the law on top of deportation)
5) on top of that, you need to enter the country with a decent amount of money
6) if you have children, you'll be a lower priority (because obviously they'll cost the government more)
7) you should be made to pass this country's driving test if you have a licence from another country (I hear horror stories about how easy it is to pass in some eastern european countries :lol:)
8) and as a general policy there should be an even~ balance between people of each country coming in (e.g. so not just one country being given priority)
9) and the amount of immigration should roughly balance the flow of emigration
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
What makes me laugh it that I missed one appointment due to an advisor giving me the wrong date and time and sanctioned for 3 months and I'm having a hell of a nightmare trying to get This problem solved as it wasn't my error to be told still nothing is being done about my claim I still visit the job centre every week as part of my claim show proof of job searches and interviews I've attended but they won't play their part and then I watch this program about gypies claiming benefits and at one point this women doesn't play her part by going to interviews or looking for work and gets sanctioned but then goes to her local helper and low and behold she gets her sanction lifted what's that tell you about being and English citizen in your own country!!! Fxxking joke!!!!

Stop having a go at people on benefits! 95% are genuine.

It's the right wing garbage people watch on channel 4 and 5 that wrongly implies that all benefit claimants enjoy being on benefits and that life on JSA is a life of Riley where people don't bother looking for work and amazingly on £70 a week can afford huge plasma screen TVs, several foreign holidays a year a luxury car and 10 kids etc.
Thanks to untrue garbage like this every benefit claimant is treat like crap including the disabled. foodbanks, disabled people being told they must work or end up homeless, sanctions where you loose 3 months to 3 years benefit of you are a few mins late to Jobcentre and unpaid workfare that's harsher than the community service dished out to criminals.

The reality is not shown. Give benefit claimants a break!
Reply 16
I strongly agree everyone is treated like **** from every walk of life and I don't believe everything is as its shown but why allow these programmes to be aired if its all fake and lies it doesn't set a good example for people who actually need these benefits and made out to be scroungers i for one was born in this country so why should I suffer if other people can get away with not abiding by the rules even when your not the one to break them this country is going to the dogs!!! I just feel sorry for the next generation!!! God help us
I personally think its more concerning about estimated £395bn is lost annually to corporate tax avoidance. This is money that could fund our health service, schools, social housing, environmental protection.The UK, with its tax haven territory networks accounts for over a third of the world’s corporate tax avoidance - four times more than any other country..Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-corporate-tax-avoidance-havens-justice-network-dodging-a8933661.htmlBrits who go to the EU after a certain time of working Can claim benefits after a period of working no different for EU citizens here. Benefit fraud is TINY we should stop being distracted by this and look at large picture of £395 BILLION lost through tax avoidance Also Under EU law UK and any EU country can send people home if they don’t have means to support themselves since 2014.Also don’t really like travellers being singled out. They are easy targets, Hitler in fact used Roma people as an easy target along with jews and disabled. We are seeing a lot of propaganda being used to achieve political ends like leaving EU for example, Trump and his Mexicans etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest