The Student Room Group

Significant figures

sf.png

Why does the mark scheme show the current to 3 sf?
Would i lose marks if i gave the answer to 2 sf since the least amount of sf given in the question is 2sf.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I think you might lose a mark so I always use 3 just to be safe. Is that the AQA June 2013 paper by any chance?

EDIT - the mark scheme says 2 or more so you should be fine. Again though I'd use 3 to be safe
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC
I think you might lose a mark so I always use 3 just to be safe. Is that the AQA June 2013 paper by any chance?

EDIT - the mark scheme says 2 or more so you should be fine. Again though I'd use 3 to be safe

Its January 2013, but then you're giving a more accurate measurement than the actual question are you not?
Reply 3
Original post by Zenarthra
Its January 2013, but then you're giving a more accurate measurement than the actual question are you not?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking - guessing that's why it says 2 or more. However the actual answer is to 3 as is with the other questions so I'm assuming they want 3. That's what I usually do anyway
Reply 4
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah that's what I'm thinking - guessing that's why it says 2 or more. However the actual answer is to 3 as is with the other questions so I'm assuming they want 3. That's what I usually do anyway

xD Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest