The Student Room Group

How voltage changes with resistance?!

I'm trailing through some old textbooks that were my sisters!

It has a circuit with a cell and it's resistor to simulate the internal resistance! The person has measured a value for voltage across two points either side of the cell and resistor! It's then asking what would happen to the voltmeter reading if the "contact resistance" where the leads were connected increased?

If anyone could help that would be great!
Resistance increases, Voltage drop increases so The voltmeter would read a higher Value.
Original post by Antondubek
I'm trailing through some old textbooks that were my sisters!

It has a circuit with a cell and it's resistor to simulate the internal resistance! The person has measured a value for voltage across two points either side of the cell and resistor! It's then asking what would happen to the voltmeter reading if the "contact resistance" where the leads were connected increased?

If anyone could help that would be great!

You need to post the circuit.
Is there anything else in it apart from the cell and meter?
If so, what and where?
Otherwise we are guessing the answer.
Reply 3
Original post by Stonebridge
You need to post the circuit.
Is there anything else in it apart from the cell and meter?
If so, what and where?
Otherwise we are guessing the answer.

There are 3 resistors in series and a switch which is open(which I guessed took them out the equation)! That's all!
Well I'm still guessing, but if you just have the voltmeter connected across the cell then any extra resistance introduced into the circuit due to contact resistance will have the effect of decreasing the reading on the meter. This is because some of the terminal pd will be dropped across the contact resistance with the remainder across the meter.
This is talking totally generally. There may be specifics in the question that alter this.

Quick Reply

Latest