The Student Room Group

Name this compound????

I'm going over some basic q's on aliphatic compounds but I'm not sure how to name this ester, is it propanedioate??

(Its circled)
Don't want to just give the name away, but that's an anhydride, not an ester. It's formula world be (CH3CH3CO)2O if that helps any :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Propanoyl propanoate.
Original post by Infraspecies
Propanoyl propanoate.

... is incorrect!
Original post by charco
... is incorrect!
No, not so far as I can tell.
No, not so far as I can tell.

It is an anhydride ...
I think this is "propanoic anhydride) I'm currently doing a Chemistry degree and I had to use some Ethanoic Anhydride the otherdya which had the same formula except it was two ethanoic acids joined instead of propanoic acids.
Original post by AaronJayThomas
I think this is "propanoic anhydride) I'm currently doing a Chemistry degree and I had to use some Ethanoic Anhydride the otherdya which had the same formula except it was two ethanoic acids joined instead of propanoic acids.

That's what I would have said :smile: we started off this year with IUPAC names and anhydrides occur in quite a lot of other things we do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charco
It is an anhydride ...

Yes.

That doesn't stop it being called that.
Yes.

That doesn't stop it being called that.

It should be propanoic anhydride

http://www.acdlabs.com/iupac/nomenclature/93/r93_534.htm

I believe propanoyl propanoate is IUPAC nomenclature since it is an acyl group with an ester so it would make sense to name it as such. Although, I would call it propanoic anhydride also since it is what I have learnt to call it.

IUPAC naming convention isn't the only way in which chemicals are named or known.

Propanoyl propanoate is a logical, understandable, common and accepted name for the compound. So is propanoic anhydride.
Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated!
Reply 13
Original post by Professor Purple
I'm going over some basic q's on aliphatic compounds but I'm not sure how to name this ester, is it propanedioate??

(Its circled)

I think it is acetic anhydride
Propanoyl propanoate is the IUPAC name but often called propanoic anhydride.
Original post by John/-33
I think it is acetic anhydride

It's always a good idea to read through the thread before replying ...:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest