The Student Room Group

Need help with calculation

Q1) You are given exactly 3.0mg of each of 2 drugs, 5-fluorouracil and oxaliplatin. Given the information below, calculate the blank values to complete the table and give your answers where indicated. You must show all your workings to get the mark (7 marks).

Compound name: 5-fluorouracil
Mol. Wt.: 130.08
Amount (mg): 3.0
Volume of solvent used (µl): 1000
Concentration of solution x (mM): a)
Add ? µl of solution x: c)
Plus? µl of medium: d)

Compound name: Oxaliplatin
Mol. Wt.: 586.68
Volume of solvent used (µl): 500
Concentration of solution x (mM): b)
Add ? µl of solution x: e)
Plus? µl of medium: f)

a)

b)

c)

d)

e)

f)
g) If you want to make 500µl of a 30µM oxaliplatin solution, what volume of the 300µM stock solution prepared above do you add to what volume of medium?

I've tried to do this many times but I keep getting different answers. Could someone help me with that and show me step by step so I can actually learn how to solve this type of question?
I know it's a lot but I appreciate any help.
Reply 1
Original post by AhmedyB
Q1) You are given exactly 3.0mg of each of 2 drugs, 5-fluorouracil and oxaliplatin. Given the information below, calculate the blank values to complete the table and give your answers where indicated. You must show all your workings to get the mark (7 marks).

Compound name: 5-fluorouracil
Mol. Wt.: 130.08
Volume of solvent used (µl): 1000
Concentration of solution x (mM): a)
Add ? µl of solution x: c)
Plus? µl of medium: d)

Compound name: Oxaliplatin
Mol. Wt.: 586.68
Volume of solvent used (µl): 500
Concentration of solution x (mM): b)
Add ? µl of solution x: e)
Plus? µl of medium: f)

a)

b)

c)

d)

e)

f)
g) If you want to make 500µl of a 30µM oxaliplatin solution, what volume of the 300µM stock solution prepared above do you add to what volume of medium?

I've tried to do this many times but I keep getting different answers. Could someone help me with that and show me step by step so I can actually learn how to solve this type of question?
I know it's a lot but I appreciate any help.

where did you get this question from? also is it a level content?

Quick Reply

Latest