The Student Room Group

Magnetic field

How is the magnetic field 90 degrees to wire = 0 magnetic flux?
Original post by 3sho1416
How is the magnetic field 90 degrees to wire = 0 magnetic flux?
Hello and welcome to TSR. :smile:

Magnetic field lines are defined by the direction of the force that the field lines produce.

Magnetic flux is defined as the density of the magnetic field lines passing through a given surface area. i.e. the surface perpendicular to the filed lines.

In the diagram, the conductor is orthogonal (90o) to the wire in the left hand drawing. The flux cuts the wire and if the wire or the flux changes, then a current will be induced in the wire.

With the wire parallel to the magnetic flux (right hand drawing), no lines of flux are cut and no current will be induced.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Hello and welcome to TSR. :smile:

Magnetic field lines are defined by the direction of the force that the field lines produce.

Magnetic flux is defined as the density of the magnetic field lines passing through a given surface area. i.e. the surface perpendicular to the filed lines.

In the diagram, the conductor is orthogonal (90o) to the wire in the left hand drawing. The flux cuts the wire and if the wire or the flux changes, then a current will be induced in the wire.

With the wire parallel to the magnetic flux (right hand drawing), no lines of flux are cut and no current will be induced.

Thanks so much, I get it Finally, My teacher was making it so COMPLEX.

one other Question:frown:today we learnt about the A.C generators); Current switches according to the what pole enters the coiled wire(in experiment form), So if North part of the magnet enters, it is North at opening of wire , thus current goes into coil?
if South end enters, South end at opening of wire, hence current leaves out of wire (towards the magnet)... are these correct statements to conclude the Lenz's and Faraday's laws?

I don't think I get it otherwise.

Appreciate the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest