The Student Room Group

Magnets GCSE Physics

I'm very confused..I know that iron, nickel and cobalt are magnetic materials, but what does that mean? Does that mean that they are permanent magnets or do they become temporary magnets when placed in a magnetic field?
Original post by scar-the-queen
I'm very confused..I know that iron, nickel and cobalt are magnetic materials, but what does that mean? Does that mean that they are permanent magnets or do they become temporary magnets when placed in a magnetic field?

hey babes. so permanent and temporary magnetics are both referred to magnetic materials. according to the edexcel txtbk u need to know that steel is a permanent magnet (which means its a magnetically hard material so it keeps its magnetism) while iron on the other hand is a magnetically soft material that loses its magnetism very easily. idk abt cobalt and nickel tho cuz they arent mentioned in my text book... i hope this was enough 😭
Original post by scar-the-queen

i googled it and cobalts are permanent magnets but i couldnt find any proper answers for nickel... if u need to know what kinda qs they ask from this, i have some qs saved so i could send them if you'd like
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
i googled it and cobalts are permanent magnets but i couldnt find any proper answers for nickel... if u need to know what kinda qs they ask from this, i have some qs saved so i could send them if you'd like

thank you so much for the help! yes, if you could send the questions that would be really helpful, thank you so much!!
sorry for the late reply but what i saw in past papers is that there can be multiple choice qs asking which metals are soft and which ones are hard so just know the ones i listed. they can ask a 2 mark q like 'why is steel a magnetically hard material/ why is it a good magnet?' so for that u need to mention that it is hard to demagnetise and it retains its magnetism. i think thats it
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
sorry for the late reply but what i saw in past papers is that there can be multiple choice qs asking which metals are soft and which ones are hard so just know the ones i listed. they can ask a 2 mark q like 'why is steel a magnetically hard material/ why is it a good magnet?' so for that u need to mention that it is hard to demagnetise and it retains its magnetism. i think thats it

ahh ok tysm!!

Quick Reply

Latest