The Student Room Group

How does a magnetic field shape change when two opposite poles move closer together?

If you have two bar magnets and move opposite poles towards each other, how would the field change?
I understand that the flux lines between the two poles would become more plentiful (and hence have a smaller distance between them) to show increasing strength, but would anything happen to the rest of the field?
Would the flux lines between opposite poles on the SAME magnet change, perhaps being 'dragged' into going between the two magnets because the magnets themselves don't change strength, and would that mean that the surrounding field would become weaker as a result?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by hhattiecc
If you have two bar magnets and move opposite poles towards each other, how would the field change?
I understand that the flux lines between the two poles would become more plentiful (and hence have a smaller distance between them) to show increasing strength, but would anything happen to the rest of the field?
Would the flux lines between opposite poles on the SAME magnet change, perhaps being 'dragged' into going between the two magnets because the magnets themselves don't change strength, and would that mean that the surrounding field would become weaker stronger as a result?

Thanks in advance!
You have pretty much got the gist of it except for that last sentence after the comma. I've corrected it for you.

Have a look at this link, the diagrams towards the bottom of the page are very informative.

In essence, the two magnets with opposite poles facing each other behave as if they are one larger magnet.

This is an important to point to remember and is a big clue to understanding how very strong permanent magnets can be made.

http://www.newtonsapple.org.uk/science-experiment-properties-of-magnets/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
You have pretty much got the gist of it except for that last sentence after the comma. I've corrected it for you.

Have a look at this link, the diagrams towards the bottom of the page are very informative.

In essence, the two magnets with opposite poles facing each other behave as if they are one larger magnet.

This is an important to point to remember and is a big clue to understanding how very strong permanent magnets can be made.

http://www.newtonsapple.org.uk/science-experiment-properties-of-magnets/

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest