The Student Room Group

physics magnetic field question

im stuck on part 4.3, wouldnt the induced current need to go from F to E for the north pole to be on the right side?
image_2023-06-08_010753299.png
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by FM1/FP1
im stuck on part 4.3, wouldnt the induced current need to go from F to E for the north pole to be on the right side?
image_2023-06-08_010753299.png

no?
use the right-hand rule and you'll realise the current should sort of go downwards when your fingers face you (hard to describe...)
that means if you look at the coil from the left with the coil going away from you, for instance, the current would be going clockwise
look at how the coil is connected to the ammeter and you'll see that means the current will leave the coil at the point nearest to E
hope that makes sense
Reply 2
Original post by sbwhoexists
no?
use the right-hand rule and you'll realise the current should sort of go downwards when your fingers face you (hard to describe...)
that means if you look at the coil from the left with the coil going away from you, for instance, the current would be going clockwise
look at how the coil is connected to the ammeter and you'll see that means the current will leave the coil at the point nearest to E
hope that makes sense

I agree with that but that then makes the north pole be on the LHS of coil when it needs to be on the RHS
Reply 3
Original post by FM1/FP1
I agree with that but that then makes the north pole be on the LHS of coil when it needs to be on the RHS

i think u might've misunderstood me... my explanation results in the north pole being on the RHS
the direction of the pole decides the direction of the current flow, according to the right hand grip rule
now u just have to look at the wiring carefully and notice that the current leaves the coil and enters E immediately...

Quick Reply

Latest