The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can someone give me an overview on monoclonal antibodies and how they could give a 6 marker about this?
Original post by liverpool2044
Can someone give me an overview on monoclonal antibodies and how they could give a 6 marker about this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need more detail.Is it how monoclonal antibodies identify antigens or other antibodies?
can u predict the grade boundaries(round about). so that i know how many marks im aiming for to get an A:colondollar:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I need more detail.Is it how monoclonal antibodies identify antigens or other antibodies?

Yeah just a general summary of what they are and what they do? that would be great.

What could they ask us for a 6 marker about them?
Has anyone got any tips on answering application questions as I stuggle with them?? :/ thanks xx
Yeah just a general summary of what they are and what they do? that would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know why on earth would they give a 5 marker on monoclonal - i feel asthma 5 marker and a 5 marker on diffrences between immune responses (t and B cell)

the reason i feel they won't give monoclonal antibodies as theyr'e isnt really a sequence - max 2-3 marks
Original post by shwetasethi123
can u predict the grade boundaries(round about). so that i know how many marks im aiming for to get an A:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Use this as a rough guide.Personally, I would go for 90 percent another very least,to offset any mistakes made in the empa,which is often unpredictable.
Original post by Ellebann
Has anyone got any tips on answering application questions as I stuggle with them?? :/ thanks xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry,I forget to add the pic.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Use this as a rough guide.Personally, I would go for 90 percent another very least,to offset any mistakes made in the empa,which is often unpredictable.

On average it's about 45 for an A, it's been higher, it's been lower. But what Kayak says is true in that the EMPA probably didn't go well- so this is your chance to redeem yourself. If you read the question properly and keep your answers concise then full UMS is achievable.

Just for example in last years paper 51/60 would have given you full ums.
(edited 8 years ago)

I dont understand the difference between the two methods? :frown:
Original post by yeyhelloxoxoxo
Can someone do a BRIEF OVERVIEW of the roles of T cells in Cell-mediated Immunity and the roles of B cells in Humoral Immunity?!?!??!!

There's just so many bullet points to remember and don't think I can do all of this a day before the exam.

Ok so T - cells
They bind to antigens presented by phagocytes -> activates T - cell
Some T - cells release chemicals that activate B -cells
Some bind to antigens on pathogen

B- cells
Covered in antibodies that bind to antigens -> antigen-antibody complex (only binds to complementary shape)
When it binds to antigen it's activated a long with chemicals from T-cell
Activated B-cell divides to plasma cells which release specific antibodies (plasma cells are clones of B-cells)

this is great thanks
Can someone please do a bullet point form of the formation and cause of Cystic Fibrosis and Asthma.
And a bullet point form of the way in which T Cells and B cells work? Im so confused between cell mediated response and Humoural response
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by triplescience1
Can someone please do a bullet point form of the formation and cause of Cystic Fibrosis and Asthma.
And a bullet point form of the way in which T Cells and B cells work? Im so confused between cell me
diated response and Humorous response

Asthma
Respiratory disease when airways become irritated and inflamed
Caused by: pollen/dust
Smooth muscle lining of bronchioles contract secreting mucus
Mucus restricts air flow
Less O2 to Lungs therefore less O2 to alveoli
Less O2 diffuse into bloodstream -> less in cells -> less aerobic respiration
And a bullet point form of the way in which T Cells and B cells work? Im so confused between cell mediated response and Humoural response

Ok I'm presuming you mean pulmonary fibrosis?

Fibrosis is the formation of scar tissue on the lungs, one of the most common causes is from pulmonary tuberculosis.

Asthma is a localised allergic reaction, it can be caused by many allergens such as dust or pollen.
Original post by Peppercrunch
They aren't proteins. Most are single celled organisms. The stomach provides acidic conditions for the proteases in the stomach, which digest the pathogens cell wall and membrane.

I think that's right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You.mean pulmonary fibrosis.We don't do cystic fibrosis in AQA as.

T-Cells = cell-mediated, responds to body cells, antigens are presented and T cells are stimulated. They rapidly clone via mitosis and differentiate into one of 4 types of T-cell

B-Cells = humoral, in the blood, responds to foreign cells, T-cells present the antigen of the forgein cell, stimulating B cells. They rapidly clone via mitosis and differentiate into plasma B and memory B cells. Plasma B cells produce antibodies, memory B cells rapidly produce the required antibody upon reinfection
Original post by SubwayLover1
I dont understand the difference between the two methods? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What two methods?

Latest

Trending

Trending