The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akereem100
Would saying atheroma is fatty material deposits on walls of artery enough or do I need to say all the LDLs cholesterol and stuff?

no no atheroma is the build up of fatty deposits and white blood cells which have taken up low density LDL's
Atheroma builds up in the wall of the arteries not on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which order do organelles come out in ultracentrifugation? Nucleus, mitochondria... Then?
Anyone have 5 marker for co transport of sodium and glucose

Posted from TSR Mobile
wtf is interleukins?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemicals sent by helper t cells to stimulate the production of B cells.Also used by antigen presenting cells like macrophages to attract the attention of helper t cells.
Original post by wabbit998
I though that the killer t cells perforate the membrane of infected cells to kill them.

I think they perforate the membrane by binding with the antigens. So you can say either (tbh saying both would be better actually).
Original post by shhh123
can any one explain the whole question 6 in May 2011 bio 1 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it the hpv question?
Is cell mediated immunity just phagocytosis?
Original post by Kill3er
Which order do organelles come out in ultracentrifugation? Nucleus, mitochondria... Then?

Naughty
Monkeys
Eating
Raspberries

Nuclei
Mitochondria
Lysosomes
ER
Ribosomes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kill3er

You're not required to know that far into it.
Original post by wabbit998

Extracted by introducing foreign material with mice- immune response triggered.
B cells are extracted and mixed with a tumor so that they can grow outside.
Detergent added to break down the cells and allow them to fuse together.
Then separated under microscope
Screened to see if the cells are producing the desired antibodies- of so they are then cultured and cloned on a large scale.

We don't need to know this right? It's not in the spec...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kill3er

lysosomes , ribosomes :smile:
Original post by Oiseaux
Hasn't come up as a 5 marker yet so I'm not too sure. But these are the main parts of each.

Cell mediated:
Macrophages ingest viruses. Viral antigens are displayed on the surface of the macrophage. Viruses also infect body cells which display antigens on their surface.
Helper T cells bind with the antigens on macrophages and release interleukins
Interleukins activate T cells with appropriate receptors
These T cells divide via mitosis and differentiate into killer T cells and memory T cells
Killer T cells bind with antigens on body cells and destroy them

Humoral:
Some bacteria is ingested by macrophages which display antigens on their surface while some bacteria recognised by inactive B cells
Helper T cells bind with macrophage and release interleukins
Interleukins trigger B cells
B cells undergo mitosis and differentiate into memory cells and plasma cells
Antibodies on B cells carry out agglutination and trigger phagocytosis

Correct me if I'm wrong please :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemicals sent by helper t cells to stimulate the production of B cells.Also used by antigen presenting cells like macrophages to attract the attention of helper t cells.

You guys are getting too deep here lol. All the book says is t helper cells attach to processed antigens on b-cells.

Thanks anyways :smile:
Original post by Kill3er

Lysosomes,endoplasmic reticulum, ribosomes.
Basically from heaviest to smallest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kill3er
We don't need to know this right? It's not in the spec...

could come up as an application and HSW question
Original post by NathanWalker56
If anybody wants a handy PowerPoint that covers the whole topic, I've uploaded one here ^. It covers all the spec (mostly...fingers crossed) yes there are a few spelling mistakes but you can work it out! Enjoy!

you are an amazing person, this is fab!!
You guys are getting too deep here lol. All the book says is t helper cells attach to processed antigens on b-cells.

Thanks anyways :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it's not part of the spec, but remember this.
Next year,at A2, as part of the exams for biology you will have to write an essay.And you get marks for saying things that aren't part of the spec.
Original post by SubwayLover1
lysosomes , ribosomes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Endoplasmic reticulum before ribosome.
Original post by TheDaniel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, you do. I've come across questions,where you are given a diagram and you might have to label the organelles at various stages.
Original post by TheDaniel
i'm pretty sure it goes nucleus, mitochondria, lysosomes then ribosomes with the centrifuge spinning faster and for longer for each pellet to be created??

Latest

Trending

Trending