The Student Room Group

G482 help

Can someone explain this to me, seems quite simple but I don't understand it.

Question 2aii.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58130-question-paper-unit-g482-electrons-waves-and-photons.pdf
Original post by Super199
Can someone explain this to me, seems quite simple but I don't understand it.

Question 2aii.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58130-question-paper-unit-g482-electrons-waves-and-photons.pdf
The question is asking you for the types of charge carrier moving within the stated medium.

It's where physics and chemistry overlap somewhat.

Batteries produce a reduction-oxidation (redox) chemical reaction to liberate electrons and create a charge imbalance between the electrodes. The reaction takes place between the electrode atoms in contact with an electrolyte solution.

Anions are atoms that have a net -ve charge, meaning the atom has gained additional electrons to the valence shell which now outnumber protons in the nucleus.

Cations are atoms that have a net +ve charge, meaning the atom has lost electrons from the valence shell.

Electrons are negatively charged and move freely through a conductor.

During discharge, Hydrogen (H+ cations) produced at the -ve plate move into the electrolyte which are transported via the electrolyte to the +ve plate.

HSO4- anions are consumed at both plates.
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
The question is asking you for the types of charge carrier moving within the stated medium.

It's where physics and chemistry overlap somewhat.

Batteries produce a reduction-oxidation (redox) chemical reaction to liberate electrons and create a charge imbalance between the electrodes. The reaction takes place between the electrode atoms in contact with an electrolyte solution.

Anions are atoms that have a net -ve charge, meaning the atom has gained additional electrons to the valence shell which now outnumber protons in the nucleus.

Cations are atoms that have a net +ve charge, meaning the atom has lost electrons from the valence shell.

Electrons are negatively charged and move freely through a conductor.

During discharge, Hydrogen (H+ cations) produced at the -ve plate move into the electrolyte which are transported via the electrolyte to the +ve plate.

HSO4- anions are consumed at both plates.

Sorry I'm a tad confused. I thought the negative ions went to the positive terminal. How do the positive ions go the the positive terminal.
I don't understand why it is positive ions? :frown:
Original post by Super199
Sorry I'm a tad confused. I thought the negative ions went to the positive terminal. How do the positive ions go the the positive terminal.
I don't understand why it is positive ions? :frown:
Don't confuse conventional current flow (historical convention which says current flows from the +ve terminal to the -ve terminal) with actual current flow (electron flow) which is from the -ve terminal to the +ve terminal.

Remember that in a conductor, the atoms are locked in position, it's only the electrons that are free to move.

In the electrolyte, cations (+ve atoms) are free to move because they are in aqueous solution and are not fixed in position.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

These two diagrams shows the redox reactions clearly in two different battery compositions. Note the effective net flow of -ve charge is in a continuous loop.

Quick Reply

Latest