The Student Room Group

FP1 Factorials help

Hey!

I've come across this whilst doing some ocr fp1 papers, and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction? I can never seem to get my head round these sorts of questions when involving factorials!

Many thanks,
Klaxoii

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430915345.551355.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Klaxoii
Hey!

I've come across this whilst doing some ocr fp1 papers, and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction? I can never seem to get my head round these sorts of questions when involving factorials!

Many thanks,
Klaxoii

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430915345.551355.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if you've made any progress but a good first step if you're not confident with these questions is to expand the factorials:

(r+2)!(r+1)!\displaystyle (r+2)!-(r+1)!

=[(r+2)×(r+1)×r×...×2×1][(r+1)×r×...×2×1]\displaystyle = \left[(r+2)\times(r+1)\times r \times... \times 2 \times 1\right] - \left[(r+1)\times r \times ... \times 2 \times 1\right]

The next step is to factorise. Can you continue from here? Post all your working/ideas if you get stuck.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
I'm not sure if you've made any progress but a good first step if you're not confident with these questions is to expand the factorials:

(r+2)!(r+1)!\displaystyle (r+2)!-(r+1)!

=[(r+2)×(r+1)×r×...×2×1][(r+1)×r×...×2×1]\displaystyle = \left[(r+2)\times(r+1)\times r \times... \times 2 \times 1\right] - \left[(r+1)\times r \times ... \times 2 \times 1\right]

The next step is to factorise. Can you continue from here? Post all your working/ideas if you get stuck.

Thanks for the fast reply, is this correct? I think i've got it..

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430916881.110189.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Klaxoii
Thanks for the fast reply, is this correct? I think i've got it..

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1430916881.110189.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct :smile:

Of course with confidence you could just write (r+2)!=(r+2)×(r+1)!(r+2)! = (r+2) \times (r+1)! and continue from there.

Quick Reply

Latest